SaltCritters.com

New ballast needed fast after last one crapped out!

swordfish

It's a long story as to how or why, but the ballast on the custom sea life retrofit which I just--and finally--installed, after working from Saturday until now, irreversibly crapped out on me and is not working anymore. I don't know a hell of lot about testing a ballast with a multimeter to see if it has gone bad or not, but with what I did as far as tesing so far, coupled with the fact that it just ain't working, means the quest to get a new one as fast as humanly possible will consume my every waking moment from 8 am tomorrow until, well, I have one. As good as I am with fixing thing, since I work in the trades, I know those evil little rivets on the bottom of the ballast box-or whevever you may find them holding anything together-can mean only one thing: "I am not meant to be taken apart and cannot be fixed.". They always do.

Does anyone know where I can appeal to to get a new one? The local chain pet stores only sell one ballast and that one is for two 55 watt lights, and the hardware stores don't have anything in 32 watts. I guess I could get a hold of www.theaquariumonline.com where I got it from, which I will indeed do, but I fear the worst there as well since these are sold as kits with a bulb and reflector. I doubt they're going to have an appropriate single ballast just laying around. I *can't* be the only guy this has ever happened to! Heeeelp!!

JCS

Check out www.petsupplyliquidator.com for your ballast. Look under aquarium parts, or something like that, and you'll see 3 different PC ballasts. They don't say it, but they are the workhorse 3-5-7. The WH3 will run 1 32 w bulb or 1 55w bulb and is only 20$ if you wire the caps on it. For a bit more it can come prewired and with a bulb. I've ordered a couple of these ballasts and have been totally happy. Personally I use the WH5 and have 1 pushing 2x55 pc and one pushing 2x36 pc.

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention, they are really fast when it comes to shipping. They're located near sacramento, CA (fairly close to me). Standard shipping takes 1 day for me.

Archived