inTank Media Baskets

BC 29 Plumbing - Is this kosher?

twozeroNano

Ok so here goes...

Bought a BC 29 tank and a Current USA SunPod 150W MH from NanoTuners around January '07. Because of the open top setup topping off water was 'alittle' more annoying but not that bad. Since I am so not a creature of habit and because I'm just alittle bit lazy I started researching ways to semi-automate top off, water changes, and just basically elminate the bucket carrying i was used to doing on my first tank back in the early 90's. Since I am much smarter now (i think) and have access to a big bank account and the lovely invention of the internet and 3 am online shopping, I start brainstorming.

Here is the plan I came up with back in Feb and have since implemented.

plumbing.jpg

I purchased a stand that would have be large enough to house water storage / future sump underneath with no shelves or space limiting dividers. Basically the water storage would be square 5-6 gallon containers. One would be constantly fed from my RO / DI source and would be limited by a float valve. The other would be salt water that would be fed manually from the first RO / DI bucket. Both containers had a return pump that would join to a Y connection and then continue through a single line to the tank. Before the Y connection would be a check valve on each line to prevent cross mixing of the containers. This meant that i could power on either pump to get salt or ro/di water (or both) through a single line feed in the tank. This eliminated some lines and made the return feed alittle neater. This takes care of RO / DI top off and Salt water to the tank.

To transfer the water from the RO / DI container to the salt container, I have a small transfer pump. Salt would then be added and would be mixed by another small mixing pump in the salt container. This mixing pump would be constantly running.

To transfer the water out of the tank for a water change I have another pump in the bottom of the Chamber 1. I removed the false floor and sunk the pump to the bottom, this chamber also houses a heater. When powered on this pumps waste water through a ball valve, which would be turned off when not in use to prevent siphon, and then routed into the down pipe of my bathroom sink.

All pumps (with the exception of the mixing pump) are controlled from one master control panel. All have toggle switches and labels. Water changes become as easy as opening the waste ball valve and filling on the DRAIN pump and the SALT pump. Top offs require me to flip the RO / DI switch for only 7 seconds. I wanted to automate it so that tasks were easier, not neccessarily hands off. Plus I didn't want to totally automate everything because that is just asking for trouble atleast in my past experiences.

Just wanted to share what has worked for me for the past 7 months with no trouble at all. Maybe this will benefit someone else who was thinking about so basic plumbing and needed some ideas.

I live in an apartment and don't have access to a basement, roof, or garage so everything is in my bedroom. I would love to here any suggestions or changes anyone would make!

Archived