Pod Your Reef

Powersweep mysteries unveiled

jflysmooth

Everyone whines and complains about how much powersweeps suck 'cause they stop working. Well apparently nobody has tried fixing one. I took mine apart today just to see how it works and thought I'd share. Keep in mind, mine's been working flawlessly for over a year now.

The full view (sponge not shown)

1.jpg

disassembly...

2.jpg

3.jpg

Just pop the bottom off.. took zero effort...

4.jpg

5.jpg

lookie at the gears!

6.jpg

This is how the sweeping works... water flows in, spins gear one, spins gear two, turns the flow... like so...

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Conclusion: If the thing stops sweeping, its more than likely got something stuck in the gears. Open it up, take it out, viola! Enjoy.

Bruce Dunphy

Thanks for going through all the trouble to put together this demonstration, jflysmooth.

I assume that this is the smallest model Zoomed makes (212, I think)--it's looks about as long as your index finger.

Can you verify this and do you have any advice on placement and usage of this type of pump? I've just set up a ten gallon with a Millenium 3000 (filterless) dumping 295 gph and I'd like to break up the rolling current with something other than a stationary powerhead.

Bruce

freakaccident

I think most of the people that have problems with the powersweeps just have a bum powerhead. I had one that would stop turning all the time. I kept getting it going again and eventually it started working great. In my case it needed some buildup of gunk on the gears.

I put mine in the corner of the tank which causes the current in the tank to flow in a circle.

I have a pair in my 28 and while they continue to work after about a year they rotate very slowly. When they do stop, which has become rare, I stick them in a bucket full of vinager and run the powersweep for about 5 minutes. It usually does the trick unless the grit wont dissolve in an acidic solution. Does anyone else have the problem of a greatly slowed rotation over time?

freakaccident

Mine do that when the corraline starts to grow around the nozzle where it touches the case. I just take it apart and use a 3m scrubber to remove the corraline. Speeds them back up.

I just gave up after a while. I didn't think the case was sealed very well, the nozzle movement isn't very smooth and the damn things gum up to easily. That said, aquatics warehouse in SD has a 20gal tank with one of the smaller powersweeps in it and it was crusted up with coraline pretty good but it kept on sweeping. Also, I think they look to big in a small tank.

and I probably should have cleaned it more often :)

sweep1.jpg

sweep2.jpg

-skeletor-

freakaccident

I dont use the crappy base thing show removed in picture #2 up top. The suction cups will fit into the holes on the back of the powerhead without the bracket. It is smaller overall like this but it doesn't hold to the glass well. I set it on top of a rock stuck to the glass.

The problem is not only that they get stuck. They use water motion to do the ocsillating and on an already underpowered powerhead this just adds to the problem. Another problem is something that you pointed out in your post.

Just pop the bottom off.. took zero effort...

That's right, zero effort. If you look closely, current comes out of every crease, crack, joint on that thing rather than just out of the front.

They are a great idea, just not much effort put behind it. I'm sure the insides were a mystery to only a handful of people as sometimes if you handled it without extreme care the bottom would just pop off and parts go everywhere.

With some improvements it could be a great powerhead. In the meantime, IMHO they are still worthless.

I have squids and sea swirls in use. Both are great and I can't say I have had a single problem once with their use.

I have a powersweep in my tank. Slime gums up the gears about every 3 days, and when this happens I take it out and clean it. How you are able to get yours to work for a year without jamming is a mystery to me.

I love what it does but it is clear to me that this model was not tested properly before it hit the market.

I had a really old one that came with my 12 gal that I bought about 2.5-3 years ago. Frequent servicing is somewhat essential, and the more often you pull it apart, the looser it gets. I ended up wrapping a zip tie around the body to clamp it down and boom: better flow.

A periodic soaking in a vinegar & water solution will remove buildup of excess calcium on the gears.

These things are crap........

...........I only use mine to mix salt water. Once in a while I here it start sweeping just to spite me.

ha haaa, it's taunting you from the mixing bucket.... look, i can sweep...... put me back in your tank......

must resist any thoughts of putting the little b@stard back in your tank... it will stop sweeping the moment your hand is out of the water.

-skeletor-

Is it just mine that makes a horable buzzing noise?? It is so noisy, I had to take it out. Do you think the motor could have some how started to burn out?

Archived