inTank Media Baskets

Tonga Branch...cycling

eleer

Hello,

I am just starting out and added my live rock and a piece of tonga branch today to start my cycle..and earlier tonight..just sitting watching my tank after i turned off my lights...a little while later i noticed a string with little feather things on it come out of the end of my tonga branch...there were about 2-3 of them about 1/2 in to 1in. long. The end of the branch where the white things are coming out are light green with white in the middle. I am just wondering what am i suppose to do with them. Do I need to feed it or just leave it since i am just starting to cycle? Sorry for the poor description. I'm getting a digi cam soon. Any help would be great thanks???

I have those in my tank. From what I hear, they are "featherdusters." Watch them - they are neat. I haven't fed them, and the tank has been up and running for almost a week. I believe they eat floating junk, as I saw him close up on a sliver of floating algae the other day.

englishreefer

you might want to invest in some sort of invert food for filter feeders or your fan worms might not last that long, you can also buy larger fan worms from lfs you should check them out if you like the little ones, their pretty cool, yours wont grow this big though.

englishreefer

i did, but then again my cycle only lasted three days. the stuff i bought said could never foul tank, although i find this very hard to believe, to be on the safe side they will more than likely suvive the cycle so you could wait.

Archived