> Life Hours: 10,000

> Lenght: 7.10"

> Diameter: 2.72

> Lumens: 2800

> Kelvin: 6500

> Warranty: 12 Months From Date of Purchase

> No Miniun Order

> Priced Individually

Do you think a couple 42w or a couple 27w would be enough to keep some corals?? I have a reg. fluorescent hood that came with my tank that I thought I would put a 15w actinic in too.

Nishant3789

6500k? i think till work great, just supplement with some actnic, its going to be ahrd to get it even you may have cetain spots with more yellow than blue but it should be ok. just remebmer to change the bulb every 6 months, after taht they start to lose their colour

kailkaitan, could you please post the website you got that information from? :)

I think it could definitely be useful for reef tanks, since a 6500K bulb has enough "blue" in it to grow corals, it just will also cause algae to grow just as well and can appear "yellow" if not used with actinic supplementation. I'm using two 19 watt "spiral" pc bulbs over a 5.5 I'm starting up, but am planning on supplementing with a 13 watt Actinic 03 and a 13 watt 7100K blue from Hellolights.com to try and balance out the yellow look. And, in my opinion, I personally don't think they look that yellow, more "dull white" if you could imagine. 10000K look crisp, bright white to me and 5000K (which I use on my FW tanks) looks yellow to me. Of course, if you get the spiral compact fluorescent screw in bulbs that are 2700K, they will look VERY yellow, even nearly orange! I've got some of all of those in my room on various tanks, and the difference is clear when they are compared side-by-side.

Oh, and I do tend to ramble, but if those bulbs you mentioned in your post are the screw in kind, at 6500K, for a decent price, I think it could definitely be useful for DIY nano (with actinic or 7100K supplementation) or refugium lighting (by themselves), at the very least. :)

-Dan

Archived