Top Shelf Aquatics

Aggressive pink cyano...need help

southernfried

I recently set up a ten gallon mini reef. I am running an aquaclear 20 with a surface skimmer attachment and a microjet at full blast for filtration. I have about 8 pounds of live rock. I did not use live sand or live water but used R/O D/I water with reef salt.

Anyways, the live rock was really fresh. It has been set up for about a week (cycling) and I just noticed a pink slime has appeared on one of the rocks and has leached out onto the sand, practically over night. I am assuming it is some sort of cyano.

I have battled green and maroon cyano before, but this pink stuff scares me. It is flourescent barbie doll pink. My buddy told me it was called aggressive cyano. I just treated it with chemi clean, and I am considering siphoning it out later and do a water a change, as much as I would like to avoid doing that in the middle of a tank cycle I don't want this stuff in my tank.

Anyone ever dealt with this before or know anything else? Help please.

If it's slime, it's most likely slime algae...I'm not an "algae expert". I think cyano isn't a slime (I beleive I've got some cyano in my tank too).

Never heard of Florescent pink algae before lol.

yea you should definitely siphon the brunt of it out before you do the chemiclean treatment. As for the chemi-clean, what we recommend at my store is a 6 day program consisting of 1 treatment, 24 hours, 25% water change, another treatment, wait 48 hrs, another 25% water change, then repeat one more time. Make sure you use ro/di water when you do your changes because youre going to want to reduce the amount of phosphate in the water as this is one of the nutrients cyano uses. Also if you're running your lights for longer than 8.5 or 9 hours you might want to reduce it down to that amount and that will help prevent the spread and kill it off.

Archived