Innovative Marine Aquariums

newest project

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

Question...how did you square all the pieces together to silicone the tank? Just use scotch tape and a 90 degree angle? Thinking about building my own, but I'm not sure of the best way to do it...

Thanks.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
Question...how did you square all the pieces together to silicone the tank? Just use scotch tape and a 90 degree angle? Thinking about building my own, but I'm not sure of the best way to do it...

Thanks.

your so smart. :):P:)

IMG_6131.jpg

then i taped three sides inplace (to the bottom) and remove/syliconed 1 side at a time.

the first panel i only ran a beed on the bottom.

the second, bottom and side touching the first panel

third bottom and side touching previous panel

and the last i syliconed all three sides.

i removed the tape as i went.

having the trim inplace, really made the outer edges easy to set inplace. i just repeated the above process, and put a small dap on the back to hold em inplace against the wood.

btw, when ya get the glass cut, make sure they know the importance of getting them square and true. let em know ya wont be happy with anything less. :)

that way if they arent cut square returning them wont be a problem. you can check at the store easy enough. put em on a level surface and make sure the edge is the same height. then flip one around and check again.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

man how much do you drink? i mean my bar top is 71x14" and theres enough room inside the stand for a small bar fridge, a keg on tap and enough bottles to out last me. :):P:)

• 2 weeks later...
avalanche1201

finally found it again! I was wondering how this project was going...I remember reading and posting but forgot where its location was...

its looking real nice, can't wait to see how it goes...whats the live stock list? And I really like how the CC looks in the overflow area

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

the project got put on hold.

a lfs here intown was advertizing 175mh ice cap ballasts for $89 (canadian)

halide ballasts are expensive up here.

so i have a couple 175 bulbs (14000k and a 20000k thats current on my reef)

the plan was to purchase 2 new ballasts ($89 each is a steal around here.)

i guess the store sold out the day they were put online.

anyway i just found this at my local lfs

http://www.incredibleaquarium.com/store/pr...6e030299305ef0b

its used but for $225 for 2 175 halides and 4' actinic's i think its gonna be just the ticket.

i'll gut it and retro fit it to suit my needs. both ballasts are in a nice fire proof box with seperate on/off switchs.

i'm gonna offer him $175 and tell him to keep the bulbs.

if all go's according to plan i'll mount it above the reef and the overflowing aquarium, and move my old 175 above the horse tank with a 10000k lamp.

then i'll be able to build the one piece grass hut type canopy and start stocking the aquarium.

(the clams been removed)

Looking awesome!! I see you got your rock from reef perfection. I have some of that cabbage rock in my tank. I thought it was so different, I had to have some. I don't know if you remember, but you pointed me in his direction months ago. I wanted to say thanks. The rock at the other lfs was no where near his quality!! Your set up is looking fabulous!

Andrea

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2
Looking awesome!! I see you got your rock from reef perfection. I have some of that cabbage rock in my tank. I thought it was so different, I had to have some. I don't know if you remember, but you pointed me in his direction months ago. I wanted to say thanks. The rock at the other lfs was no where near his quality!! Your set up is looking fabulous!

Andrea

and a good price at that!.

glad it all worked out for you, and thanks. :)

• 5 weeks later...

Still on hold?

I saw just saw your older thread and was inspired. I was planning all I want to say. About how I want to sit on that bar and watch the tank; there was so much to see, it's one of those tanks that I could watch for hours...to the detriment of my studies I am sure.

Then I saw you had moved threads...only to see that you added an overflowing tank! Holy crap that was incredible to see THREE tanks like I have always wanted. Overflowing. Grown-in reef, AND fuge with pipefish. Out of control.

Then I get to the end and it's not current either! Any update? I would love to see how it all settled in. And this new plan, too...unless I am missing yet another new thread?

• 2 years later...

Great concept, excellent execution so far. You may have just changed my future goals.... the cascading sides are cool, but I think that that neatest part might be the 'overflow' area where you can keep specimens that would otherwise become lost in a larger tank.

nifty.

Archived