ReefCleaners.org

What type of live rock?

Vincerama

It seems that everyone is buying/selling Fiji rock. What is the differences in the rocks.

The LFS guy says Indonesian Rock is good because it is more porous than fiji, so you get more for your money.

I've heard that Kaelini rock is very nice as well, though I'm not really sure where Kaelini is (does it matter?)

Then there is Tonga rock...

I couldn't find a good FAQ on this, but maybe my search method was lame.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Vince

I love Kaelini, that is what is in my tank. I believe it is also from Tonga area. It is very colorfully, and had a lot of life on it!

Bill, awesome! How many lbs. did you get and how much did it end up being per pound! I cant wait to see pictures. Where they nice on the phone?

William

Yeah he was nice on the phone. 20 LBS. 4 bucks a pound plus I got 10 pounds of live sand. Should be here tomorrow before 2 or 3pm.

englishreefer

get this in england fiji lr is 15 pounds per kg, thats about 11 dollars per lb. i suppose it has alot further to be shipped, but still.

no wonder i am now poor.

Oddly, there don't seem to be that many online retailers on the West Coast! But isn't the west coast closer to the south pacific??!! I sense a conspiracy!

That tbsaltwater stuff looks sooo good...but the shipping is soooo bad :( (to San Francisco)

V

exoticfish.com (california) is pretty fresh. hit or miss depending upon his shipment schedule tho.

themarinecenter.com (texas) is usually better imo but a little more $.

i am also looking for live rock in the Bay Area but i haven't set up my tank yet. i found 6th Aquarium have $3.99 a lb for purchases over 10 lb. but i haven't been there in a while and dunno if their rocks are crappy or not. i haven't read much positive things on the few threads here about them. i also read gulf-view.com and liveaquaia.com is suppose to be good...but i'm still searching and learning.

oh yea, tropical paradise in san leandro has great selection in fish and corals, but not so on rocks, their rocks are all white and they're $5.99 a lb.

You might check out etropicals.com (part of live aquaria). They have Carribean LR for 1.95/lb. That price is hard to beat, although I don't know the quality of this rock. If anyone has ordered this, I bet there are many of us out here that would like to know how it turned out!

Travis

I think I'm now leaning towards aquacultured rock. As a recreational diver (and tree hugger) I feel compelled to support an eco-friendly operation. Even though I know that most of the stuff in our tanks is taken from the wild, I feel that if I provide them with a good home...they won't mind, but if I contribute to the removal of natural habitat, I might be harming the animals still in the wild!

Actually, I'm just trying to justify to myself why I should splurge and buy some of that tampa bay rock that I hear such great things about!

Vince ;)

That's some good locking rock! Is that 20 pounds in a 10g tank?

(drmac and tampa bay are my two candidates for rock purchase right now) The shipping will kill me, but I think it would be worth it. I think that with tampa bay, for the price, I'd get a bit more (like the "package" inverts) but da-yum, that rock looks fab in your tank!

V

Bill the rock will get a little green in a week or so, but then the coralline will TAKE off! Take a picture now of the rock and look at it in a few weeks, around 3-4 and you will be like WOW!!! I am very happy you liked the rock! You got it very very quick!!!

Keep taking pictures!

Thanks guys, I will continue to take pictures, probably several a week. I love to see before and after pics. Its fun. This is exciting stuff!

Bill

I bought my Kaelini rock from Dr Mac Corals too. 30lbs in my 20H. Great stuff. My tank has been running for about 3 weeks now and the coraline is starting to take off. Lots of Halimeda too. Only complaint I have is the two mantis shrimp that hitchhiked along for the ride. Well, I caught them and they living in a 5 gallon for now. I will definitly go with Dr Mac when I get my BTA though.

-Mike

How long did it take you to notice the Mantis shrimp? I haven't noticed any movement at all in the tank except for what my power heads are producing.

I was pretty lucky. The first one was in the bottom of the box. It's about 2 inches long and is dark green/brown. The second one I noticed about a week later; it was transluscent white in color and maybe 3/4 inches long. Unfortunently the larger one recently had a meal of the smaller one.

-Mike

Do you mean 3/4 of an inch or 3-4 inches.

Cause I just saw a transluscent shrimp swimming around my tank until he landed on a rock. He was very small probably about 1/2 or 1/3 of an inch long. Could this be a mantis?

He looked like a Sea Monkey!

Bill

I meant 3/4 of an inch. What you saw is probably just an amphipod (Gammarus or similar). Mantis shrimps tend to be very secretive (in my experience) and spend most of their time in holes in the rock. You don't need to worry about the amphipods, they are scavengers. You will probably notice more as time goes on.

Cool thanks. I would actually love to have a little species tank for a pretty Mantis Shrimp someday...

Bill

Archived