inTank Media Baskets

What is going on?

newbiefishgirl

newbiefishgirl

Well I came back from vacation (away for two days) and all my brown alege was gone. The rocks looked "clean" again. Then there was one rock with green on it. A very dark shade of green. No hair like stuff tho. And the red (possible cyno) stuff on the sand slightly increased... but on the largest rock it was ren and stringy. ???? What does all this mean?

Now here are my readings, which have not changed really from when I left on Sat. Ammonia .25, Nitiries 0 , and Nirates 0. Why is it that the Nitrites are not spiking???

Thanks for the imput guys.

In case anyone was wondering where I took vacation I was at the Pocono 500 Nascar Race!!!!! Any nascar fans out there???:P

Thanks again:|

how old is the cycle and what's ren and stringy? is that like ren and stimpy? :P

it could be the stringy stuff (dinos?) and the other algae have outcompeted the brown algae (unless you have snails that probably just ate it). i would suck out the very dark shade of green algae tho. normally i don't like to mess with the cycle but that could develop into slime algae which can then be a biatch!

if the cycle is only a week or two i wouldn't worry about the ammonia altho it is a little strange to have while algae is growing fine alongside it. ???

newbiefishgirl

well, ren and string is suppost to be red and stringy.

and the cycle is three weeks along, nothing live in the tank yet.

LITTLEFISHEE

Hey newbiefishgirl. I had something similar to that happen in my tank when it was about 3 months old. All of the brown algae disappeared overnight (literally) and it was replaced by green hair algae the next week. My readings were a little off, but it was a new tank. I added 4 snails, all of the algae was either eaten or sucked out by yours truly, and that was the end of that! Have you added any new live rock in the past few weeks?

MrNoahCount

Hi Becky,

I'm a newbie too, so I can't help with the tank questions but yes there are Nascar fans out here. I was a dyed in the wool Dale Earnhardt fan and now I root for Junior. My tank is now in the second week of it's cycle and my ammonia reading is moving up. It started at .25 with no nitrites and .10 nitrates. It's now at .50 with no other changes. I'm thinking my ammonia spike is starting.

Michael

newbiefishgirl

Cool Noahcount. Sounds like your tank is moving along

Well I dont have any green hair alge but i do have green something lol

I think it is just all part of my cycle.

I can't wait to check for ammonia today.

Hey Becky,

So maybe we don't need to run the firedrill after all! Thats a good thing. Anything red and stringy, remove with the trusty baster.

Archived