Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

70 watt HQI for 10g?

Larry

I am looking into re-retrofitting the lights on my 10g nano. I am currently running 1-32 watt CSL smartlite, 2-13 watt pc (actinic/03) (50/50), and 1-15 watt marineglow. I would like to buy SPS and I really like the look of MH. I noticed that hellolights.com has the bulbs (Ushio or aqualine buskhe) and the ballasts. Has anyone used this setup? If so, what combinations would you suggest with the lights that I already own? Would this bulb be sufficient for SPS in my tank?

Thanks

10g

15 lb fiji

10 lb LS

Tetratech150 w/heater

Coolworks iceprobe chiller

Rio 200

candy coral, shrooms, leather coral

10 hermits, peppermint shrimp

Kent marine suppls., Reefpure HUFA suppl.

Instant ocean

a 70w HQI would be nice...I'd step up to a 175 just for fun though. With the 175 you'd be completely set for damn near anything in a 10 gallon...I had a 400w over mine and things were great (moved to a 29 gallon now..need to change my sig..lol).

I am in the process of doing the same thing over a 7 gal bow-front tank. However, i am not looking at using a HQI but a normal MH due to the heat created by the HQI and that it has to run hot, I would not be able to pull cool air across the HQI like i do for a normal MH (At least that is what I have been told. ) I do have a 175 over my 15 with fantastic results. please let me know how this is going for you.

roger..........

GulfCoastReef

Where do you find these 70MH non-HQI? I'm assuming the HQI means it's double ended? Can you point me to a link of someone who sells them? I'm going with a 10gal and am at the light planning stage now. MH sure would be nice in a 10 gal. and 70 watts seems just about right.

Thanks

Archived