inTank Media Baskets

From planted to Reef a 1st timers Jouney with Pics (updated 3/19/08)

Roc!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have 2 Ocellaris Clownfish showing up later this week. These are captive bred tank rasied form a very good source. My question is what else could end up in this 20 gal tank after the clowns. I have been looking around but most of the fish shown on lgreen's 10 and 20 gal list (which states 3-5 fish total) lgreens fist list are shown other places to require a 30 gal tank minium.

I want color but I also want compatabilty. Any seggustions?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have made some updates.

I got a skimmer which seems to be slowly pulling some gunk from the tank, although it doesn't work as many have discribed (seems to be "wet" skimming. Maybe the 250gph powerhead isn't strong enough) it's an Odyessa model skimmer. I have seen a lot of coraline growth lately which is good. I have also seen some green algae growing not sure what would be best to take care of that. I know I need to get a much bigger CUC as right now it's mearly 3 herrmit crabs and a skunk cleaner shrimp.

I added 2 clowns which were a mated pair from a local breeder they seem very happy. I hope to post some pics later on.

Looking forward to pics!

Sounds as if you could use a few grazing snails...trochus, cerith, nerite, Astraea, turbo, etc...

--Diane

I have a BTA which when added to the tank was stressed, it has chosen an odd location. It actually looks very healthy now but hasn't moved to a more ideal condiction location.

closeup.jpg

(under the flat rock shown almost center in the pic which get very little light but pretty good flow) as of yet I have never seen the clowns go in that area, and I was thinking of moving the BTA to the top of that flat rock. Now I know they will move until happy but the area it is now is nearly pointless since it is almost invisable in the tank.

What are the reasons not to do this?

Bump, in the hopes that those with anemone experience will chime in.

Iroc, if you don't get an answer here, you might consider a separate post in the invert forum, e.g.

--Diane

Iroc...do you have an Iroc? btw tanks look pretty sweet good luck with the anemone

No actually I don't have one, my name is from a rap name I was giving becuase I Roc mics

Well the wait for the clowns to host in the BTA might be over, why you ask, well becuase they have started to host in the Green PE at least I think thats what it is, let me explain.

A night (when the lights went off) the clowns would go into a high corner of the tank. At 1st this worried me but I was told by many ppl that clowns will chose a spot and as long as they swam around the tank at other times of the day it was fine. Well over the last 3 nights the clowns were no longer in the corner instead they were basicly laying in the colony of Green PE. Is this what one would expect to see if a clown chose to host with a Green PE?

I will try to get a good pic (hard becuase they mainly do it at night and I havn't figured out how to get good shots with just moon lights on)

Ok I think I am ready for some advice.

equipment currently in tank:

Rio 90 powerhead - mounted bottom of back wall pointed forward

Rio 800 powerhead (2) - one mounted left side wall at back pointed accross tank (about half way up tank) 1 mounted right side half way towards front with defelted flow off right side glass (it was blowing the clowns all over when pointed toward left side.

HOB Skimmer - mounted on back leftside with output blowing toward front glass

HOB filter - mounted on back right side produces decent flow at top of tank

150 watt heater - mounted on back wall right hand side

Now my question is, I have a extra canster filter that I could use instead of the HOB, however I have used the HOB since I stated the tank and so far I have had good results. I thought about getting a tall 15 gal rubbermaid container and making a sump since I already have a buch of powerheads which could power the return, in that case I would mount the skimer on the sump and most likely the heater in the sump. someone told me if I did that I shloud set up the canster filter and use that as the return instead.

It seems like I have a lot of equipment in the tank and I want to keep good flow I just am wondering if there isn't a better way of doing it.

I went to a store today and they gave me some ideas about how to change my powerheads, I moved some around today and changed a couple pieces of the rock around to get ready for some new corals

20galreef10-29-07003.jpg

Well I had to beef up the CUC some so I have added some Turbo Snails and Nerite Snails now the livestock in the tank is:

3 Turbo Snails

3 Nerite Snails

3 red legged hermits

1 skunk cleaner shimp

2 Ocellaris clownfish

• 2 months later...

Well it's been an extremely long time since I updated this thread (I tend to be at my clubs website most of the time)

but lets see

I have changed things around quite a bit added a quad T5 lighting, built a DIY overflow and 10 gal sump/fuge, added a lot of rock, and corals the livestock is now 2 flase perc's, yellow tailed damsel, cleaner shrimp, peppermint shimp and I saved a mandern goby (I know it is a hard fish to keep but it hs been eating and it m was my tank or death)

So lets look at some pics

FTS

reeftank001.jpg

Pinks

reeftank005.jpg

Candy cane

reeftank006.jpg

Unknown zoas

reeftank010.jpg

Purple Fission

reeftank012.jpg

Mean greans

reeftank013.jpg

Super Novas or Solars

reeftank014.jpg

Monster Lips or RPE

reeftank016.jpg

Male clown

reeftank007.jpg

Female in her host BTA

Clownathome.jpg

Alien Eyes on Dragon Eyes

Dragoneyes.jpg

Yuma/ric alcove

Yumacorner.jpg

Neon brain

Brianfull.jpg

unknown zoas # 2

reeftank019.jpg

unknown acon

corals010.jpg

unknown zoa #3

Aquamouthzoa-nanu.jpg

unknown acon #2

Acon.jpg

Orange monti cap

OrangeMonti-1.jpg

Theres more I'm sure but I will update more later now that I post here again

Wow, wonderful pics of super specimens! Very nice job. I can't get over the change from the first pic to the second:

20galreef10-29-07003.jpg

reeftank001.jpg

Well done!!

--Diane

Wow, wonderful pics of super specimens! Very nice job. I can't get over the change from the first pic to the second:

Well done!!

--Diane

thank you very much, I have tried very hard to create a lifelike reef. I have had some bumps along the way but for the most part it has been very fun.

Very nice!!!

Thats one heck of a change from the beginning...I see more tanks in your

future ;)

Izzue

I have a few but this is my 1st reef, all my tanks are in the front room of my house but it is very "Aquarium" like as you walk in

55 gal low light (switched this over from a CO2 injected high light tank) and my 20 gal reef

issuesinthereef013em1.jpg

7gal no maintence planted Red Cherry Shrimp tank (next to desk)

issuesinthereef012eb1.jpg

I have plans to break down and sell everything for the 55 gal tank and replace it with a 90 gal reef ( needs to not exceed footprint of current tank, wife's rules)

( needs to not exceed footprint of current tank, wife's rules)

LOL...

I know what you mean...my wife keeps me and my tanks in check also :P

Izzue

very nice. I kept a high tech 20g high for about a year, but broke it down in favor of a reef. I could never get BBA under control though no matter how great my tank maintenance was nor how much co2 i injected.

Mind if i ask your dosing regimen? I was following tom barr's EI schedule FWIW.

Archived