ReefCleaners.org

Eclipse 12g Specs

myelin

I did some testing on my Eclipse 12 gallon tank on Sunday. The tank has been running since 6/5/2003. The specs are as follows:

June 8, 2003 6:36pm

Eclipse 12 gallon tank

Rio 50

50w automatic heater

19lbs Fiji LR

Crushed Coral base

stock PC lighting

Tank Temp: 80.5 F

Specific Gravity: 1.022-1.023

pH: 8.3

Alkalinity: light blue color from test (normal)

Nitrite: pale blue - 0-0.1? See comments below

Nitrate: 10 (test states 8 is the true level relative to NO2 level)

Ammonia: (yellow color from test) 0

I am still somewhat confused with the Nitrite test since the color I recieved was not one on the indicator card. I am assuming the levels are high since the color is not on the indicator card, or the test results are faulty. Could someone explain this to me? I understand the Nitrogen cycle, but have a hard time understanding the results of the test.

The tank is supporting some life. I have a small feather duster on one of the pieces of LR, and just yesterday I saw what I believe was a very small clam attaching itself to the front of the tank.

All tests were done with the Marine Lab Test Kit from Red Sea.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I will also post some photos later on this evening.

MVC-119S.JPG

MVC-120S.JPGMVC-122S.JPGMVC-123S.JPGMVC-124S.JPGMVC-125S.JPGMVC-126S.JPG

MVC-127S.JPG

Orange Crush

unless of course you prefer the crushed coral, in which case leave it. Consider, however, that sand provides more surface area for bacteria to live on, so your tank may not be able to support as high of a bioload as it otherwise would. However, some people even go sandless.

Long story short, you like the CC, keep it :D

Originally posted by TZL

crushed coral? remove that and replace with live sand

Could you please elaborate on why I should switch to sand?

Orange Crush made a great reply as to why you would consider changing substraits. Obviously the choice is yours. I've got a mixture of the two. Lots of live sand, also a lot of finely crushed coral. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably do more sand. I don't mind my crushed coral, and I've been keeping for nearly three years now.

I started a thread about this a week ago in the beginners section of the forum. I didn't get many replies, so I went ahead and went with CC.

The LFS said that CC would be easier to maintain over time. I don't forsee any problems using the crushed coral. I've seen nice tanks with sand, and I have seen tanks just as nice with coral. ;)

Any other comments, suggestions, etc? B)

Well, this is my first salt water tank. I did a great amount of reading and this is what I came up with. Hopefully everything works out okay.

I am going to order a 96w retro this weekend, and rig up some sort of LED moonlights. I'll keep everyone posted.

Archived