Pod Your Reef

So many corals to choose from, help me decide!

Bettonskyblue

Bettonskyblue

B) OK, thanks for reading, first of all. I found a new lfs I didnt even know carried saltwater and thier corals are soooo much cheaper than the other one i had been buying from. the other one was charging 40 for a 2in rock with plain old mushroom corals, sometimes he had star polyps, and button polyps but that was about it, not much variety and everything is always 40.00. well, this new one i found everything is like 30.00, and thte pieces are like three times the size! so i am happy:) but the girls that work there are not very educated about saltwater and i dont know what my tank can handle so i thought i would let you guys tell me. i want just about everything they have but i can only afford one or two at a time.

here is my set up.

twenty gallon high tank( wish it were long)

50/50 15W bulb

10,000K 15W bulb

about twenty lbs of lr

crushed coral substrate

60 whisper filter ( i know, i know, i need to upgrade)

Rio 120 ( i think)

Red hawkfish

yellow tang ( no preaching, i am trading him in soon, hes just a little guy now)

two cinamon clowns.

6 blue leg hermit crabs

1 snail ( my others croaked)

1 curlique anemone

1 Rock anemone

mushroom corals

pink finger leather coral

star ployps ( that have been closed for 4 days now is that

normal? )

Ok, forgot to mention they have bubble corals, something called flower pots, metalic bubble mushrooms, a large toadstool, star polyps, mushrooms, i am most interested in the bubble corals and the "flower pots"

deacon hemp

You would definetly need to upgrade lighting to house a bubble coral,and i would not recommend getting a flowerpot altogether they're really hard to keep.however you could get more mushrooms and maybe button polyps.

Not to sound harsh but you should upgrade your lights,you'll be happy when you find out all the corals you can keep then!

20 gal high+30watts normal output=1.5 watts per gal=mushroom tank.

On my 4 gal i have 26 watts of pc light and thinking of adding 1 more 13 watter.

englishreefer

what sort of corals do you think i could keep in my 10g with 4 15w on 20w ballasts, 2 actinic, 2 18,000, do you think it would be worth changing the 18,000 to something lower, if so what do u recommend.

deacon hemp

englishreefer i'm no expert on overdriving NO flouresecents i've never used straight N.O.'s on a tank before,however you would have 6 watts per gallon or more depending on overdriving.I would say youd be safe with softies of all sorts and some lps corals.

As for spectrum i'd go with 2 10000K's and two attinic's just cause i like that combo best.18000K and 2 attinics would seem too blue for my liking,but it's preference i suppose.

just my 2 cents

Archived