ReefCleaners.org

Additives (chemicals) for a reef tank

farmernick

farmernick

Hi,

I asked my LFS what additives I needed to add to my 10 gallon nano reef.

This is what they do for there tanks.

- twice a week add: Reef Plus, Reef Complete, and Reef Calcium.

- twice a month add: Reef Advantage Calcium, Reef Builder

Is this what I need to do?

What do you add and how often and how much??

What do I need to add and what do you suggest??

Thanks everyone in advance!!!

Nicholas

I use sechem stuff myself and they include the reef adv. calcium, reef builder, and reef adv. magnesium. I also use Kent Lugols Solution for iodine.

Sounds like he's trying to sell you too much stuff but the idea is there. Dosing really needs to be regulated by testing.....something you need to do but that baseline is reasonable.

Cameron

hey nicholas,

It sort of depends on what is in your tank and how fast everything is consuming all these chemicals, how often you are doing water changes, what type of salt you are using (some salts are lower in Ca and Mg than other brands), how much water you are changing, etc..

B-Ionic 2 part is a good place to start for Ca/Alk suppliments..

Your best bet with Ca is to baseline your tank, then dose for a week or two and check it again, adjust the dosing accordingly. You will notice that at times Ca consumption can jump in the tank due to coraline algae or other factors so, over time, your dosing amount will need to be adjusted so, test once a month and adjust as needed.

-skeletor-

Bruce Dunphy

Are you running a massive skimmer to need all those additives?

At one LFS I know of, the wall of tanks (400-600 gallons together) are serviced by an eight-foot tall skimmer in a huge vat behind the wall.

What I'm saying is the LFS is telling you about their dosing schedule for their particular setup.

Skeletor's advice is good. Follow it and you should do well.

Bruce

THanks for this info!!!!!! It is great and here are some of the answers for you!!

I have a 10 gallon with soon to be 2.5 gallon Refugium.

I have right now 4 mushrooms, 1 yuma, 2 small batches of zoo's, 2 xenia.

I plan on adding a grogoridan(misspelled), fether dusters, maybe a clam, and some other things but not sure exactly what yet.

I do 10% (1 gallon) water change every week and will write the salt that I use when I get home.

I add about 1/6 gallon of water daily for evaporated water.

I do not have a skimmer but when I get my refugium it will have a small box skimmer with it but not a regular skimmer.

Thanks for your help and I would apriciate any more you can give me.

THanks,

Nicholas:)

Archived