Coral Vue Hydros

Moving my tank over 300 miles...

sernger

I am currently about to start up a 15 gallon tank. But I will be needing to move it from the LA area up to Bay Area when school starts. I was wondering what I should do.

Should I get liverocks now and cycle it. Then wait till I get back to school before getting livestock? Or should I get livestock now, and just transport everything up there?

And one more question...How am I to transport my tank in order that the liverock, livesand, fish, cleaner crew, corals, etc... don't get streessed out and that no big changes in water quality are resulted as a result of this movement?

Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I've moved a pair of tanks over 500 miles before. While it isn't a lot of fun, it's not impossible.

1. Buckets. Keep as much of your water as you can. Store the rock in it. Do something with the sand, and keep it moist. I kept it in a little bit of water.

2. Move as quick as you can from point A to B.

It's probably easier to wait until school starts to fire up the tank.

dude ive moved my tank like 4-5 times each time about 250 miles. all you have to do is get buckets for the rock and keep it submerged or very very moist. bag your corals and cleanup crew and put them in a styrafoam, and then keep your sand in the tank with a very low amt of water over them. move then setup your tank. a few hours after setting the tank up do a small water change. the next day do another of about 15 percent, then teh day after that do another small one. you should be fine i have been and never lost anything.

I moved my 45 from San Diego to Portland, OR (that 1053 miles for the geographically challenged:P ), and didn't lose a single critter. But I thought about it (actually lost sleep over it!) for months before hand. Here's the protocol:

Went to Target and bought to rubbermaid 20ga wash tubs, 8x 5ga red plastic gas cans, I had 4x 5ga buckets with lids (but if you don't, you can get them at home depot. Finally, bought a battery powered aerator.

The day before I moved:

1) Put fresh SW in the gas cans

2) Put best LR into 2 5ga buckets with fresh SW

3) Put Base rock into 1 of the tubs with 5 ga of SW, and saraned the hell outta the top

4) Took out LS and put it in the other tub and covered it with just enough SW to keep it wet

5) Fish and inverts in the other 2 5ga buckets w/ chemipure

6) I poked holes in the live stock lids (just big enough for the air tubing and I ran a bubbler in both buckets

7) Keep the temp in the truck cab at 76 degrees

Set up tank as soon as we got to P'land!

No probems................sure wish I was back in SD right now!

Good luck!

Archived