inTank Media Baskets

Do I need an overflow?

Korbin

I'm in the process of creating a 15 gallon tank with a 15 gallon sump/refugium. I'm going to drill the tank to make a water outlet and water return. But I'm not sure where to put the holes. I was originally going to make a regular overflow with the outlet near the bottom of the tank, but do I really need to?

Think I can get away with just putting a hole near the top and maybe a strainer on the inside of the tank? I know I will forfeit skimming water from the surface, but it seems so much simpler and quieter.

freakaccident

If I did it again I would put the outflow on the back of the tank at water level with a skimmer. I drilled the bottom of my 10g with an overflow tube. Takes up too much room IMHO. Drill holes for bulkheads for a closed loop too.

How did you drill the holes? I just ordered a diamond drill bit. It costs me 10 dollars more than having a glass shop do it. But I figure I can make earings out of it after I'm done:P

ahhh, I see. Nevermind about the question in your other thread.

In that tank I'd drill for a top corner over flow ala Glazer's bowfront set up. I'd do two returns, that way you can run a SQWD.

Do a search here and at RC for drilling the holes. :)

Edit, use a fairly large bulkhead for the overflow (more flow is a good thing). I have a chart for flow rates but I can't locate it. :(

Originally posted by lizbeth

do two returns, that way you can run a SQWD.

crap. I'm gonna go broke. Thats a good idea.

I'm going to have 1-inch bulkheads. From what I understood, that's enough for whatever I want to do with the tank.

Originally posted by Korbin

crap.  I'm gonna go broke.  Thats a good idea.

I'm going to have 1-inch bulkheads.  From what I understood, that's enough for whatever I want to do with the tank.

LOL! Yeah I understand about the broke part. You don't have to do the SQWD right away, it can be added later if you have two returns.

Archived