Cultivated Reef

Live Sand in a sealed bag on a shelf...Q

Vincerama

I went to the LFS and they have a stack of bags containing 20 lbs of live sand (selling for $30). The bags say that the are good for 12 months...sealed in a bag! The fish guy told me they expire sometime in 2004.

Is this the normal way to buy live sand? Sounds very odd...but the bags were filled with sand and water and had some company name on them that escapes me. Looked almost like a bag of salt!

Any opinions on this stuff before I buy some?

Thanks!

Vince

donkeykong

these bags only contain some bacteria at best. If they have been sitting there for any amount of time the bacteria starts to die off. The do not contain any pods or othr benificail critters. If you are just starting a tank then it wont hurt to throw in some of this sand to help the cycle along. But dont expect to skip the cycle because you used this "LIVE SAND"

I like the Nature’s Ocean product. This aquacultured product contains 10,000,000 bacteria per pound. Although it makes no claims about containing other beneficial critters, when I used this sand I noticed worm holes against the glass (before I put in anything else).

Donkeykong is right, since live sand is usually not an adequate biological filter by itself, you will likely want to introduce live rock. When you do, the bacteria in live sand will not be able to handle the increased ammonia levels and will start a cycle. However, the established bacteria in this or any other live sand will help to shorten that cycle.

I've used this stuff in two tanks (10gal and 20gal).. both times I was very happy with it and I had very short cycle times.

what size tank ? I used 2 bags (40lb) in my 20gal tank.

-skeletor-

I have used this stuff alot. I am sure it helps with the cycling.

My first tank was a 40L, I used 5 bags of this sand and some beautiful cured rock. My tank never spiked anything. I kept thinking my test kits were bad, but I had the LFS test it and allwas good. I never had to go thru the "initial big cycle"

It is a very fine sand, and is lighter in color in your tank than in the bag. Lots of little pink chips of something in it too. One bag I bought had a piece of driftwood or something in it.

This sand will not cloud your tank at all. I had some left over the other day from setting up my 7g, so I dumped it in my 20g with 800GPH flowing and it sunk right to the bottom. I used my turkey baister to blow off the little bit that got onto the rocks.

I will put in live rock, of course, but I was just interested in the "12 month shelf life" thing. I mean...wow! 12 months in a sealed bag?!

I might look for other live sand that might have "critters"

Thanks

V

Archived