Coral Vue Hydros

Thoughts on online livestock, liverocks, etc...

sernger

I would really welcome any comments or thoughts about buying livestock, liverocks, etc... online. I was wondering if they are better than ordering from LFS. Anyone who has ordered from internet, I would really appreciate some comments on the arrivals of your livestock.

Thanks.

chvynva916

Depends on your LFS. I'd say unless you have a great LFS online is the way to go. Only problem is cost of shipping. You do lose some of the intangible joy of shopping in person and picking out your stuff, but generally the online product I find to be cheaper and better (not withstanding the shipping).

I shop exclusively online as the only lfs is a huge ripoff and the owner is a huge (insert nasty word here). I agree that you are better off shopping locally if you have a decent store in your vicinity. Nothing beats seeing the livestock before you get it but for corals there are quite a few online stores that are excellent to deal with.

Thelogicalreef.com

spsfrags.com

premiumaquatics.com

palmettoreefs.com (I haven't ordered from them yet but only hear good things)

inlandaquatics.com

coraldynamics.com

to name a few.

Christopher Marks

The only thing I have *not* purchased online is fish. I prefer to see the fish that I am getting for my tank. The few LFS's that we have around here have very high prices, and I probably would have saved a few hundred bucks if I have purchased my fish online too.

Of course if you *do* have quality local fish stores, do all that you can to support them!

I've got a couple of thoughts on internet vs. LFS.

I'll concur with those who have already said "Buy online unless you have a great LFS." I think you'll find better selection and pricing online, but they're right when they say that it takes some of the fun away from it. I'm sort of lucky, being that I've got a very good LFS a half hour away, and I'll do what I can in order to support them, because I know her, I know that she's a hobbyist first, and a businesswoman second, and I trust her. Never had anything but good luck with her.

However, as far as dry goods go, I'd always order online. You can be supportive of an LFS with livestock and coral and stuff like that, but it's a simple fact that the LFS can't compete with the online warehouse's price. Be sensible about the hobby. God knows it costs us enough as it is.

By the way, all you Des Moines reefers, if you haven't made it out to Altoona to check out The Reef Connection, you need to. Great store, good prices, terrific service. Had another great experience there this past weekend. Janna does a terrific job and I'm pimping her to anyone who will listen!

Later.

i buy everything from my lfs because its a nice place and the peoplethere are really nice. I order offline if its something that they cant get (aka logical's zoos or other choice corals) and hard to find items (flatworm eXit). And honestly, once i figure shipping into the prices the prices arent much better, and i think having no stress from shipping and seeing it before i buy it make it worth it.

I really tried to find a lfs to support as I've been setting up my tank but they simply don't carry the equipment I want in setting up a nano and are rather unwilling to special order anything. I've bought most of my equipment online from several companies and have been blown away by the fast shipping, good prices, good products, everything. I ordered live rock/sand from TBS and am thrilled with that whole experience, would definitely recommend it.

Has anyone here ordered livestock from saltwaterfish.com. Free shipping over $75 but i want to now if it is worth it.

I have one LFS in Longwood, FL that's barely adequate for livestock. Also, the owner seems to be a bit of a _______. I always try to buy drygoods online unless I'm in a hurry for something. It saves me $$$.

Archived