Cultivated Reef

Wow, it's been a year!

Gilman

060803tank2.jpg

Hard to believe I setup our Minibow Nano Reef over a year ago now! Since then, our little reef has come a long way with the help of folks here at N-R.com and local reefers who are have all turned out to be very cool people.

As some of you may know, I have taken the hands off approach to reefing, and consider myself a lazy reefer. I do not dose our tank with any chemical supplements, but instead rely on weekly one gallon water changes using premixed RO water from the LFS. I have been using this water, which is mixed with Tropic Marin salt, since the beginning of our Nano Reef.

Here is a list of our current tank specs....

7 Gallon AGA Bowfront

32 Watt CSL Smartlight PC Retrofit

CPU Fan for cooling light fixture

Tronic 50watt heater

Whisper 5-15 HOB Filter

Mini Jet 404 Powerhead

8.75 lbs Fiji Live Rock

8.5 lbs Live Sand

Invertebrates and Macros

Squamosa Clam

Bubble Tip Anenome

4 Tulip Anenomes

3 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs

Numerous Stomatella Snails

Bristle Worms (Lost Count)

Tiny Hitch Hiker Brittle Stars

Small Green Pest Anenomes

Small Peppermint Shrimp

Purple Macro

Small Halimeda

Corals

Orange Ricordeas

Candy Cane Coral

Yellow Polyp Rock

Green Montipora Digitata

Assorted Mushroom Corals

Red Sea Xenia

Small Tree Leathers

Green Star Polyps

Orange/Yellow/Green Zooanthids

Orange/Yellow Zooanthids

Orange/Brown Zooanthids

Peach/Green Zooanthids

Peach/Brown/White Zooanthids

Brown/White Zooanthids

Light Blue/Dark Blue Zooanthids

Turqoise/Blue Yellow Zooanthids

Mint & Chip Zooanthids

Green/Blue Zooanthids

Green/White Zooanthids

Yellow/Pink Zooanthids

Multi Colored Zooanthid Rock

Fish

1 Green Banded Goby

Here are some photos of our tank...........

Candy Coral when introduced

candy06061.jpg

Candy Coral today

060803candy1.jpg

Candy Macro

060803candy3.jpg

Green Montipora when introduced

120502monti1.jpg

Green Montipora today

060803monti2.jpg

Another angle

060803monti1.jpg

Some of our Zooanthids

060803zooanthids.jpg

060803zooanthids1.jpg

Our Squamosa has been growing nicely

060803squamosa.jpg

So after one year I can say our reefing experience has been a true success, and I am looking forward to another year in this great hobby!

Gil

deacon hemp

Stunning Gil stunning,best minibow on here imo!

Youe candy is amazing to say the least,and ditto with your zoo's

Wow, all that with 32 watt of PC light and a few gallons of saltwater. :)

Beautiful tank Gil. Here's to another year!

John

That's an awsome tank. I remember looking at pics of when you were setting it up. It just keeps looking better and better.

Thanks for sharing your progress Gil. Your tank was one of the ones that inspired me to start a nano of my own. I like your low-tech approach, and I'm following suit with mine.

Question for you: Were you a "fast stocker", or a "slow stocker"? I am stocking my new nano now and I'm undecided about how long to let the aquarium settle in after adding corals before adding more.

Cheers,

Jeff

Congrats, Gil. The tank looks terrific, the corals are amazing.

God, I wish I had your luck. Maybe next time around!

Happy Birthday. Best of luck for year two!

Hey, thanks for the nice comments folks! My email notification isn't working, so I didn't realize that anyone had responded till this morning!

Where did you get the variety of zoos?

We have gotten our Zooanthids from a few different sources, namely Bryan at TheLogicalReef, Anthony at AquaDesignz, and local reefers.

Were you a "fast stocker", or a "slow stocker"? I am stocking my new nano now and I'm undecided about how long to let the aquarium settle in after adding corals before adding more.

My "rule" when starting was that I didn't really ever want to add more than one coral to the tank in any weeks time. There were times however that circumstance had me adding more than one coral at a time. If you look at my site , you can go through the news archive to see almost exactly how often I was adding corals.

God, I wish I had your luck. Maybe next time around!

Fly, sometimes I feel like the tank is going to explode. I read some of the posts here about stuff like heaters failing and think my number just hasn't been pulled yet. I am quite sure that I am in line. I have actually been considering getting all new equipment for the next year. It wouldn't cost too much to replace the heater, HOB filter, and PH, and may be worth the peace of mind. On the other hand the equipment that is in there has been running great. Any thoughts on this?

Gil

A classic lesson on how to do it right the FIRST time. Best tank of its type(no additives) I've seen and beautifully photographed.

I think that if you've taken good care of your equipment and cleaned it regularly that you'll be okay. I don't know if you have a backup plan just in case something goes awry, but that would probably be the best plan of action. Have something either set up, or able to be set up at a moment's notice in order to dump everything in if you come home from work one day and your tank is starting to selfdestruct.

Honestly though, I think that the fact that you're pretty religious with your water changes and that you don't add anything is something that's very much in your favor. Ron Shimek wrote an article a few years ago about how tanks will crash from time to time, and he discusses how it might be due to all the additives we dump into our tanks. I think you'll probably be able to find the article at www.reefkeeping.com. Search the back issues.

Either way Gil, I think you'll be fine. Keep your equipment in good shape, underheat your tank, and life will be good.

Again, kudos on a job well done.

Archived