Innovative Marine Aquariums

Salifert Calcium Test

FlaGuy

I just purchased a Salifert Calcium Test kit for my nano, and I have a question about conducting the test. The directions say to add the Ca-3 soulution drop by drop till the water sample turns a "clear blue color". When I add the Ca-3 solution, it turns from pink to a cloudy blue. Should I stop as soon as I see a color change?

Thanks

Yes...otherwise your just wasting chemicals. From your statement your calcium level is very low and you'll need to start getting that value up.

Cameron

I know...I believe it's in the 200's. I need to get it up soon. I am planning on getting some B-Ionic, unless there is something better that youy would recommend.. I have a 7 gal Minibow with 10 lbs ls and 8.5 lbs live rock, a 32W CSL Smartlight retro, a Rio 200 ph, and a Whisper 10-15 hob filter.

B-Ionic may not be the first choice to bring Ca levels up, but it's a good way to maintain levels once you get them to where you want to be.

Part 1 is Alk and part 2 is Ca, so you can add just part 2 until you get your Ca up, but if you're adding equal parts of part 1 then your Alk is going to go through the roof, so watch out.

Kent's Turbo Calcium is another option for raising Ca only.

Also, it can take a fair amount of dosing to bring Ca levels up, especially if Mg is low too, but that's another story.

Practice makes perfect with those test kits...

-skeletor-

WorldNation

there's also a new product out ther(i think its new). by Red Sea. its a calcium,magnesium, iodine suppliment all in one...i'm currently trying it out right now. its a very condense formula. 1 teaspoon for 60 gallon.

Archived