ReefCleaners.org

sea stars

Biocube29

i have a 29 gal. biocube. can i get a linkia star. i wanted a blue or purple or burgundy.

what do you feed sea stars?

no, no, no.

Linkias are very picky eaters, and you personally dont feed them...they eat the algal "ooze" on the surface of the rock and glass. Your tank won't be big enough to support enough of this algal/detrital mat for the linkia to survive (oh sure, you could do it, and he may make it for several months, but thats because they don't show signs of starving until they fall apart - literally).

If you want a star, get a brittle star.

no one really knows for sure what linckias eat and the vast majority of them end up starving. the ones who go into large set ups have a better chance since there is food around (whatever it may be).

so to answer you question, no linckia. there are a few sea stars that are known to do well in captivity but most arent even reef safe. like the chocolate chip star for example.

i have a 29 gal. biocube. can i get a linkia star. i wanted a blue or purple or burgundy.

what do you feed sea stars?

No one really knows what Linckias eat. That is the problem. And no, one will not survive in your cube for very long. One of the few unreasearched purchases I've made was one of these guys. I was ordering some other livestock and had it in the back of my mind that these stars were hardy, but that's just because everyone sells them. I'll not be making such a mistake again.

Get a brittle or a serpent star. sealifeflorida sells some nano sized serpents, and I think brittles as well. I got a harlequin(banded serpent) from him, and it's been very hardy. Way cool, too.

• 3 weeks later...
Beach454Babe

Hello People! I'm new to this "forum stuff" so I appologize if I do anything wrong!

BACKGROUND: my boyfriend and I have 2 salt water tanks... 160 gal and 30gal... we've had the tanks for several months now and have had pretty good luck... hatched a healthy baby shark and all... I'll admit he's the one that maintains everything and I'm the one that researches the livestock we desire. Which brought me to this site...

I'm fascinated with starfish, I'll admit! We currently have a chocolate chip star in the big tank and unfortunately the only things in the little tank would be a live rock and an orange linkia. I would love to add a fromia star to the little tank. I've been researching them all day and am now debating if I should invest in one. I think they're absolutely beautiful creatures and would be a great addition to the little tank. I'm curious to know if anyone has owned a fromia? If so would you recommend me purchasing one? Several sites contradict each other and I don't know anyone who has ever owned one. Like I already said both our other stars are doing great. Chip is a monster! My dwarf lionfish was slowly dieing and while he was resting at the bottom of the tank Chip attacked him, he's also consumed several of our other creatures... reason why he's in the big tank with the baby shark, but they get along, for now at least. My linkia I've had for a few months and she seems to be doing wonderful as well. Anyway, I just don't want to get something that wouldn't be compatible with the linkia and if they're easy to own. Another thing about the fromias is that my LFSs only carry the common choc chip, linkia, sand sift, and brittles so I was thinking about buying one online, so, if anyone knows of a good site to purchase livestock from, PLEASE INFORM ME!

Anyway, I would greatly appreciate all the advice I can get! Thank you so much!

Beach, a fromia in the 160 gal would be okay, not in the 30gal. in fact, the linckia shouldnt be in the 30gal either.

It sounds like you're a beginner at this hobby, so for future reference, sea stars are NOT beginner animals. chocolate chip stars, brittle and serpents are all good and hardy, but linckias and fromias and the like are far from a good choice in a 30gal tank. no one really even knows what they eat.

as for online research, what sites told you a fromia was a good choice? note: online vendors are far from good resources in making that kind of decision as far as hardniess goes.

^^^^Agreed.

Beach, I suggest you search for starfish threads on this site--there is a lot of information. Not too long ago someone posted an article with pics of Fromia & Linckia wasting away. Apparently they usually appear to be doing well for some time--a year even--and then die of hunger. I couldn't find that particular article, but here is another one:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rs/index.php

I would highly recommend brittle stars! I have a large population that began from 2 hitch hiker individuals, and they recently spawned! I find them fascinating.

--Diane

Archived