Pod Your Reef

Frigin hermit crabs eating my zoas

cherokee2871

I have a pretty good clean up crew in my tank and I got a colony of about 20-30 blue zoanthid polyps today and not five mins after I put them in all of my hermits but 2 were standing on top of it ripping them apart has anyone ever heard of this or am I just seeing things. I removed all of them out of the tank and moved them to a tuperware container with some water until I heard anything from yall. But they are still going back to my LFS and Ill just stick to snails. But please any stories or experiences I would love to hear

I found that hermits are pretty useless, snails IMO are the best for eating algae and stuff. I got a nice frag of xenia once from a local reefer. My hermits ripped all the stalks off and then finished by eating the base.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again...IME, hermits (and many other CUC organisms) zero in on any new addition and give it a careful going-over. What looks like an attack on your coral is more likely just a thorough clean-up around them...

But then there are experiences like darkfishy's...

I think 2 things are important:

1. What species of hermits do you have? I understand that only a few are considered comfortably reef-safe...

2. Do they have anything to eat? People sometimes stock their tanks according to the "so many crabs/gallon" mantra w/o paying attention to the cleaning needs of the tank. I think many a good crab goes bad when it's starving...

That said, I think it's a great idea to return any critter that is doing more harm than good. Certainly far better than killing it, which some people have said they've done...

--Diane

Archived