SaltCritters.com

Gulf view rocks and macro algae

samstersam

samstersam

I love these rocks, they are filled with life and lots of different coralline algae...

BUT, i have lots of weedy looking macro algae...some are very stiff short, almost like red wires curling around, and i have the annoying calupera algae too...

for those that have gulf rocks, how did u deal with the annoying macro algae? they grow so fast too!

it's keeping the typical micro-algae bloom in new tanks-syndrome in check, but at least if u have hair algae, u can get clean up crews to eat them! what the heck eats macro algae? how do i get rid of it?

I like all the macro growth on my gulf view rock. I have yet to run into a problem with it growing out of control because I do keep on top of it. I am fiddling with my tank at least twice a week so keeping it kept is not too hard. If you'd like you can just pull it

and soon it'll really start to stunt the growth.

Cameron

samstersam

it's been 3 weeks, and one of my rocks is like a giant ball of MOSS

i'm positive it's macro not micro hair algae, it's too thick and its a deep green color...

the most annoying thing is the stiff curly red algae, it looks like red pubic hair!!! it covers one of my rocks... =(

do u have this type of algae?

In my old reef. I got some gnarly red leafy macro on my fiji rock. Damned stuff would not stop growing. You have to be careful with macro algae.

I would say your best solution, if you're up to it, is to start a refugium. And try to suck the nutrients out of the main tank. Just a though.

Or you could just manually pick it all out. Ughhh...

OR... you could just design your reef around it. Who knows? It would definitely be something different!

John

Hey,

Like you, I did have the annoying red pube macro growing too...I bought an urchin and a few snails, pulled as much of the stuff as I could out and just let the animals do their jobs. You just gotta get it under control and then let the snails and the urchin do their jobs. The urchin was awesome....never hurt anything...it was a black long-spined urchin. Had to give him to a friend when I moved because they are very delicate animals, related to starfish.

HTH,

Matt

Archived