Coral Vue Hydros

Hairy mushroom or ricordia?

supernip

It's kidna high at about 1.024. It came like that when i got it. It looks like a mix between hairy shrooms and ricordia doesnt it investigator? It has these weird white or green spheres on the tips of the tentacles. Odd huh? I'm not too sure it's ric or hairy mushrooms either. I'll try to get a better macro shot of it

From that last pic it's deffenatly not a ric, tenticles are too long..... but then the very first two pics did look like a ricord...?? Are you sure your takeing pics of the same coral. :happy: Just kidding. Could there be such thing as a cross breed..... lol I think a better macro would help.

Luke

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by supernip

It's kidna high at about 1.024. It came like that when i got it. It looks like a mix between hairy shrooms and ricordia doesnt it investigator? It has these weird white or green spheres on the tips of the tentacles. Odd huh? I'm not too sure it's ric or hairy mushrooms either. I'll try to get a better macro shot of it

1.024: too high. nope. I keep mine dead on @ 1.025, and some folks go 1.026.

I vote for hairy shroom on the last pic as well. Depending on what point you are at with water changes and additives, hairy shrooms will morph quite a bit from compact just like a ricordia to fully spread out with long, sometimes branched tentacles.

looks like u have two different corals that ur showing us but the last pic u posted is a definate mushroom.. actually my friend has that same exact coral... not sure wut its called.

• 2 weeks later...

i guarentee that is a rhotadiscus, until they get bigger/happy, sometimes the tenticles can look rounded like ricordea, but they will get more pointy, like your other pictures show....thats my experience ;)

• 2 weeks later...

pink/orange hairy shroom with green tips. Also sold as a hairy tonga shroom. I have the exact same species in my 29g aga. They grow like weeds and sting other corals so keep it away from others close by. They are actualy an anenome. They eat meaty food stuffs as well. If you keep it in lite current and feed it small pieces of silverside and mysiss shrimp it will split soon after. They get realy big around just before they do this. Like about 4-5 inches in diameter. ( mine do any how) They dont like strong lighting either so keep it in a dimly lit area or moderate light. one of the few corals that can be kept under NO flourecent bulbs.

PS I have pics of mine for reference if you like.

Archived