Pod Your Reef

Tunze or Deltec Skimmers

msn711

i was at this newer lfs that I started going to when I saw one of his tanks under the countertop. I started looking around and I saw that he was running a 9010 (maybe even 9015) and I asked him about it.

exact words were "its a piece of crap for $400 dollars" Honestly it was also larger then I thought it was, it probably was on a tank around 150ish gallons. Now, this tank had only two eels so I'm not sure its because the lack of a bioload and thats the reason it doesn't skim well, but I didn't ask if he had something else in there before the eels. I'll be up there again today to get a couple of yellow jawheads so I can ask him again and take a pic or two so you can see what I mean.

Now, if oyu go to the Tunze section on RC you will also see people who get lots of skimmate from the skimmer so.....

That's interesting because one eel is going to be a heavy bioload let alone two. I had a snowflake befor e and I want one for this tank. Granted, his 150 and my 120 are bigger tanks, but eels seem to be nitrate factories. I've seen a few pics before but no good reviews. I'll go skimmerless before I buy another POS skimmer. Just a bad sump design on my part has me in this bind, ya know?

yeah i know exactly what you mean. I didn't think too well of the design of my 58 and I learned my lesson. On my 58 I was thinking of doing a tunze skimmer but thankfully I never had to get that point. I made room for my new tank to have a insump skimmer.

The Tunze skimmers always have a wet skimmate. There are mods to get a darker skimmate. I like the fact that I can adjust the flow to be gentle on plankton. From what I have seen the Deltec;s are more aggresive and produce a darker thicker skimmate.

My tank is only about 30 gallons total water volume so I dont need anything that big.

If I had a larger tank I would get a Bubble King.

bubble kings are overpriced, for the ultimate skimmer the Reeflo series are by far the best and create the most dense, dark, nasty smelling skimate in the world

I'm looking for something with a very small footprint that will still skim a 120. The details are in my tank thread, but long story short, there isn't enough clearance space between the top of the stand and top of the sump to get a normal size skimmer in there. So I need a mini version that will actually skim.

Deltec is good quality although overpriced.

D.A.S. are a piece of fish poo.

Tunzes are generally well built I would buy one.

Bubble King is $$$$$$ but at the top of the food chain pretty much.

H&S skimmers are very well built and less expensive than deltec.

So yeah most of the above mentioned needlewheels (besides D.A.S. will suit your needs)

Deltec is good quality although overpriced.

D.A.S. are a piece of fish poo.

Tunzes are generally well built I would buy one.

Bubble King is $$$$$$ but at the top of the food chain pretty much.

H&S skimmers are very well built and less expensive than deltec.

So yeah most of the above mentioned needlewheels (besides D.A.S. will suit your needs)

have u used a das skimmer? u know that they bought the design from deltec and use the same pumps.

msn have u looked into the ati bubble master? http://www.reefgeek.com/filtration/Protein..._Skimmer_by_ATI

use an external skimmer and build a cabinet for it :). i don't think you'll find many skimmers that are short in height and that will skim a 120g. Euro reef has a good design where you need no extra height to remove their skimmer cup. i'm kinda iffy with their skimmers though... great quality, but way too loud.

how much room do you have exactly? i'm not up to reading your 5 page thread to find out.. lol

Tim

I've got about 5-6" between the top of the stand and the top of the sump. So I need a small skimmer that can get through that space, but is also worth the money. I'm not worried about the height of the skimmer; it's the body/diameter of the skimmer that's an issue. Otherwise, I won't even hesitate to run skimmerless.

I know most good skimmers aren't that small. That's why I'm wondering if the SMALL tunzes or deltecs are even worth the money.

Plus, a 4ft tank was the biggest I could find room for in my apartment. That "room" however turned out to be the 4ft of space next to my bed. No room to put anything externally, unless there's a skimmer that I can fit under my bed. Maybe I can run it horizontally. :P

I've got about 5-6" between the top of the stand and the top of the sump. So I need a small skimmer that can get through that space, but is also worth the money. I'm not worried about the height of the skimmer; it's the body/diameter of the skimmer that's an issue. Otherwise, I won't even hesitate to run skimmerless.

I know most good skimmers aren't that small. That's why I'm wondering if the SMALL tunzes or deltecs are even worth the money.

Plus, a 4ft tank was the biggest I could find room for in my apartment. That "room" however turned out to be the 4ft of space next to my bed. No room to put anything externally, unless there's a skimmer that I can fit under my bed. Maybe I can run it horizontally. :P

So basically as long as the diameter of the skimmer is not greater then that, you could slide one in there??

If so, that opens things up a bit, because from the bottom of the tank to the top of of the ceiling is what, like 28ish inches??

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/p...products_id=463

If you decide to run an external skimmer, this should fit right next to the 40 breeder sump, but still inside the tank stand unless you already have something there

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalog/p...products_id=451

So basically as long as the diameter of the skimmer is not greater then that, you could slide one in there??

Yep, I think so. You might be a genius! I know I can get the super skimmer (125) in there, and that H&S looks a little smaller.

From the bottom of the sump to the bottom of the tank is 26-28". I'll double check tonight.

EZ should chime in here. He has the Deltec skimmer and he likes it. I'm thinking of getting one as well. I'm tired of my Remora.

The DAS are supposed to be clones of the Deltecs, they use the Aquabees over the Eheims (on the larger skimmers) and supposedly use the same Deltec needlewheel. The acrylic dimensions are the different. Reviews on the old DAS skimmers supposedly weren't very good per eric, but no one has chimed in on the new ones yet. Eric should chime in here lol

I double checked the measurements this morning. I know the old CSS 125 fit, but it's a tight fit trying to maneuver it between the top of the sump and the bottom of the stand. So my biggest concern is the diameter of the skimmer body. The CSS diameter is 5". This morning, I used a roll of tape with a 6" diameter, and it will get through, but at that point, I'm cutting it close. Anybody know any online sites that would accept returns if the skimmer dosen't fit?

I've got 26" from the bottom of the stand to the bottom of the tank. And I've got 9" to the right of the sump for an external. The question is, can anyone explain to me in super simple terms how to plumb in an external one?

The H&S skimmers are looking pretty good right now. About 4" diameter body, so it would definitely fit. But they're rated at 100g. Will that be an issue?

I'm gonna double check the measurements on the Euro Reef's. That was my original plan, but I didn't think it would fit until I measured with the roll of tape this morning. If it does, should I go with the undersized H&S or the ER?

I'm also going to double check marine depot and aquarium specialty and see if there are any other options that will definitely fit.

It looks like it'll have to be the H&S. It's the only thing I feel comfortable with in terms of size (getting it into the sump) and performance. Now I just have to decide between the internal and external.

Archived