inTank Media Baskets

Sea Cucumbers/ Sea Apples

MrAnderson

I got a small sea cucumber (might be a sea apple?) as a hitch-hiker on some uncured LR I bought. I have no idea about ANYTHING with these creatures. What does it like? What does it eat? How do you feed it? Do they grow fast?

Any - and I mean ANY - information about these guys would be appreciated. Even an ID of the one I have, I've tried searching and googling and have come up empty so far.

Thanks!

DSC000431.jpg

My seacuc just eats algae.. he is 4 years old and is about 12" long... I got him from a local reefer... He does not move very much kinda just hangs out...

I dont know if that is a seacuc though.. Looks more like an apple if anything but I am totally unsure.

My seacuc just eats algae.. he is 4 years old and is about 12" long... I got him from a local reefer... He does not move very much kinda just hangs out...

I dont know if that is a seacuc though.. Looks more like an apple if anything but I am totally unsure.

yea, the more i surf, the more i think it's a sea apple. cucumbers tend to look like worms or... cucumbers, and i've read they move around. this one hasn't moved in a couple days, but does open and close, so at this point i'm just perplexed.

i guess i should try and get it ID'd first...

BustytheSnowMaam

^LOL @ Mud

I think it's a sea apple; I personally would not keep it because it may poison your tank. My further reasons for not keeping it are in the book Reef Invertebrates by Fenner/Calfo, but I gave that book away and can't remember all the details.

This is a good article Sea Apples

stingythingy45
^LOL @ Mud

I think it's a sea apple; I personally would not keep it because it may poison your tank. My further reasons for not keeping it are in the book Reef Invertebrates by Fenner/Calfo, but I gave that book away and can't remember all the details.

Gee tasha,you didn't even keep it near the potty for later reference? :lol:

^LOL @ Mud

the article says it's fine for home reefs and the author keeps one himself (?)

it said as long as it doesn't get pulverized by a powerhead there's nothing to worry about.

BustytheSnowMaam

I remember what it is about sea apples now- they have specialized toxins to reduce predation by fishes. Your corals/inverts might be fine, but fish could start dying if the sea apple feels bothered by them.

This was the thread that I remembered about sea apples: sea apples

I remember what it is about sea apples now- they have specialized toxins to reduce predation by fishes. Your corals/inverts might be fine, but fish could start dying if the sea apple feels bothered by them.

This was the thread that I remembered about sea apples: sea apples

Mr A keeps no fish.

SIZE: Up to 6"long most smaller

RANGE: Indo-Pacific

AQUARIUN SIZE: Moderater tanks 50 gal or larger

LIGHTING: Immaterial

FOOD & FEEDING: Suspension feeders, needs lots of fine partical foods. Phytoplankton supplementation or rotifers neccessary.

AQUARIM SUITABILITY: Hard to feed, they may poison an entire tank if stressed.

CAPTIVE CARE: These 3 species(perhaps color forms of the same species) seem irresistible to some aquarists despite many disastrous episodes caused by there defenses. Body walls and internal structures contain high concentrations of poisons that can be deadly in a reef tank if the animals are stressed. Rows of tubercles(modified tube feet) are found on each of the upperside of the tough body. Body color is red, blue, or violet; tube feet and tubercles are red or yellow(sometimes on stripes of contrasting color): feeding tentacles are red, white or blue. Needs cooler temps. of 76 to 79 degrees and normal reef salinities. Slowly starves in most systems and should not be purchased unless the aquarist can feed it properly.

Marine Inverts By: Ronald l. Shimek PhD

:rolleyes: Dr. Ron can be so dramatic. he also claims common fanworms can't be kept in aquariums either, despite the thousands of people who keep them successfully for years.

but thanks darlin!

he also claims common fanworms can't be kept in aquariums either, despite the thousands of people who keep them successfully for years.

Unless someone proves me wrong, they last about a year or two before releasing their crowns, growing it back and then dying. Unless their lifespan is 1 year, I would agree. It's even worse with coco worms. But I think they could be successful in large and or mature systems and supplemental feedings.

neanderthalman

I have a common fanworm that is just over 3 1/2 Y/O. I don't have a skimmer, so that could be why. Skimmers don't seem to be compatible with filter feeders.

neanderthalman
Genus Actinopyga: "Toothed Sea Cucumbers", named for the series of five teeth ringing their anus.

Is that in case they go to prison or something? Seriously, wtf?

I have 2 sea cukes in my tank. I started with one, it divided after a few months and the new one is now almost the same size as the original. It was one of the coolest things to see. I think mine are pretty well fed even with a big skimmer.

Archived