Top Shelf Aquatics

Dosing Magnesium

Maeda

My tank is driving me nuts.

I switched to twopartsolution DIY mix, and everythings fubared. Last week things were testing a little low(really low, this stuff is WIMPY!), so I bumped my dosing by 10x for a week to attempt to raise the levels.

Calcium was 380 last week, 300 this week.

KH was 7 last week, 12 this week.

I was looking at this thinking... thats odd..... only 300 calcium... :/ I did just switch salts 2 w/cs ago.... so I did what most recommend and tested my magnesium.

My mag has fallen to 1100.

How much of this stuff do I stick in and how long? I'm really comfy manipulating my KH and calcium, but i've never ever ever had a magnesium problem so i'm a little scared....

The calculator said 500+ ml is required for my magnesium to be up to 1300.....

I dumped in 20ml for good measure (using recipie 1), but 500ml sounds fishy...............

any thoughts?

Look at reefvideos or randy holmes posts on reef central about the safe dosing of mag. your DIY two part lowered the mag lvl. So your going to have to watch all three cal, alk, and mag and dose for all.

i use ESV magnesium for mg supplement cuz its cheap enough. (still not cheaper than epsom salts)

and i follow its recommendations. i gotta test more tonight. its all about trial and error

Archived