Cultivated Reef

Confused on which corals I can keep

Dennis_said

Dennis_said

I'm not rich, hehe, to be honest... but I want to have the potential to keep most of the nice corals I want in my 15 gallon tank...

I got advice from some that I can probably do well w/ Softies with my setup, but will have to upgrade some for the hards?

Setup:

15g long

1 Rio 90

1 CPRAquafugium (the small one)

1 Maxijet 600

50W Ebo-Jager Heater

2x65 50/50 10K and Actinic 03

I can't afford MH hehe, but will this cover me for the corals?

What are Softies? and what are hARD? I read this http://www.nano-reef.com/corals/

And I know what softies are now... but where do the hardies (?) come in? Like what is their classification? Sorry if I sound really lost, it's cuz I am :-D hehehehe

Thanks for any help!

-dennis

Hard corals come in two classifications. LPS (large polyp stony), SPS (small polyp stony). All hard corals require high light and proper levels of calcium. They need this extra calcium due to the fact that they have a skeleton like structure.

Originally posted by NanoJrFL

All hard corals require high light..

incorrect statement.

example: Nemenzophyllia turbida

Dennis_said

Does my 2x65 classify as being high light? I know I know MH are the ideal, but I can't just go down that path =T

harbingerofthefish

actually with 130W of light you can probally go for just about anything. The "all hard coral require high light" thing is a misnomer. Things like blastomussas and foxes can get away with lower light levels. SPS (hard) corals do like higher levels.

The biggest thing is placement in the tank relative to the light. IMO you could do SPS in the tank just place them in the top 1/4" of the tank.

I have a blasstomussa on the sand bed some 12-13" away from the light and is doing great. But I have a candy cane in the same general setting and not doing as well.

location, location, location.

your LFS may only tell you what you want to hear.

it might be a good idea to pick up a few books ... just to have. that way you can minimize the risk of getting ripped of from (and take advantage at other times) mislabled livestock ;)

130watts in that small of tank should be sufficient enough for SPS, LPS or even clams. They won't grow as fast or have the real bright colors but they will grow and the colors look pretty good to me. Besides you don't want them to out grow your tank too fast. As long as you have a good amout of calcium, you should be fine.

Yes Denis, do not ask the fish store what they think of a coral for they will ask you what your tank specs are and say, "oh, well this coral would grow like made in that tank." More than likely it would be a flower pot or something.... (flower pots are very hard to keep..... ) Anyway, if you see a coral you like ask them to hold if for you and come ask us... we could probably help out more than they would. Books are excelent choice too...... as adinsxq already mentioned.

Luke

WorldNation

yeh, ive noticed that trend in a lot of my lfs, except for my local one, (dennis, the one i told u about). ive aked them about flower pots, bubble coral, torches, etc etc. and they say pretty much the same thing as in here. thye havent screwed me yet :)

Archived