Coral Vue Hydros

Winter's 10 Gallon Nano

Winter

Ok guys, I've been browsing this board for several months now, learning about nano tanks and generally being a nuisance in the lounge B). So I figured it is time for me to pony up and post a pic of my newly restarted 10 gallon nano.

My first 10 gallon was unceremoniously destroyed when my landlord bug bombed my apartment without telling me before hand. :angry: I tried to complain, but after re-reading my lease, I discovered it was futile.

With out further ado or whining:

CloudyTankBig.jpg

As you can see it is quite milky right now as It was just set up not 2 hours ago :happy:. BTW I think it was Crakeur on a post somewhere that suggested using plastic wrap over the sand when adding water. Excellent idea as it worked like a charm. I can't imagine what the tank would have looked like right now if I hadn't gone that route.

Specs. on the new 10G:

Edit: 85w PCs - one 10K (36w) two true actinic (36w and 13w)

Custom DIY hood (purchased from Ross when he got rid of his nano)

2 to 2-1/2" deep southdown sand bed

penguin mini-HOB filter (minus bio-wheel and filter media)

Mini-jet 606

Marineland 100w heater (I have a 100w ebo jager but no suction clips to mount it with yet.)

Using Instant Ocean Salt and Water Island RO/DI water from Kroger.

*Live rock to come in about a week from premium aquatics. I'm thinking about 12 lbs of uncured marshall island.

Planning on keeping an assortment of corals including GSP, zoos xenia, frogspawn and rics.

Also planing for either 2 true percs (might be pushing it on bioload) or one true perc and a yellow watchman goby.

I will post more pics here in the future an at my new website once it is up and running.

Comments, flames, advice all welcome.

Winter ;)

Damn Winter, I was about to PM you and insist you build me a custom stand and canopy. The setup looks sweet. I'm actually without a plan once again myself. I was in the process of putting together a 2.5 for my office - and then the management company sent out a NO PETS notice to all of the tenants - including aquariums. 2.5 won't work at home due to the Benjamonster. Has to be something he can't pull over. My 20 has been out of commission for over 3 years. Actually just saw the 26 bowfront at a Petco and now that has me thinking.

Good luck with the 10 - and hope you don't have the same problem as Crakeur if you go with uncured rock.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, the news that at least Palaegic was waiting for:

Live rock has been ordered and will be here Tuesday. Ordered 10 lbs of uncured Marshall Island from Premium Aquatics today along with Salifert nitrite, nitrate and ammonia test kits.

The guys over at Premium are great to work with and assured me that the rock they picked would be perfect for my tank. Will definitely post pics of the rock and tank when things get set up. (hoping to post them tuesday night if everything gos right!)

But for now here is a pick of the tank all cleared up.

ClearTankBig.jpg

Winter, the tank is beautiful. It's going to look great stuffed with corals. Sanp some more pcis once the LR comes in.

I have a clown and yellow watchman that have formed quite an unusaul friendship. Very cool pair - I highly recommend it!

Live Rock arrived today!! I am a happy man. :D

Check out the pics of the rock at my new web site.

Click Here!

Sorry no pics of the rock in the tank yet. I have a minor sandstorm in there right now. Will update the site with new pics when the sand settles.

Her are a few pics for those who don't feel like clicking the link above. ;)

Packing1Big.jpg

Rock1Big.jpg

Rock2Big.jpg

Rock3Big.jpg

SeaMountain

Sweet Winter! Bug bomb... Damn. You would think the landlord would have mentioned something about that prior to letting it loose. Imagine if you had some food left out to thaw and it became contaminated. Or bug juice settled into your coffee maker. From a liability standpoint I think they need to give notice. Anyway...

Nice looking woodwork bud! Question on the 96w... I thought a 96w was one bulb with a 50/50? You mention "one 10k one true actinic". I was thinking of new lighting for my 10g and dropping the 2x36w to an up and coming 'fuge. Where did you get your 96w?

Thanks guys,

Fraggle - I've seen some worms, but other than the coraline algae, nothing so far. but then it just went in the tank last night.

Caj -I wish I had taken a pic of the other side of that rock too. It has caves gallore.

Sea - The lights are 2X36 with an additional 13w actinic. I goofed on the total wattage. If you go to the DIY thread you will see Ross's design for a 10 gallon hood. This is that exact hood (literally) being made. So I can't take credit for any of the workmanship. Props to Ross for that one.

Yeah, it's a damn shame that Ross got out of the hobby. I bought some of his old equipment. I know he won't be out of it too long. He's working on a new endeavor, so if anyone needs an RO system in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, PM me and let me know. I'll give you a name and a number.

Ross did an awesome job with that stand and canopy. I'm gettin' the bug again to do something different for my shrimp/goby pairing. Thinking that a 10 wouldn't be a bad thing to put 'em in. I'll need to check that DIY thread to figure out how to make a hood that purty.

By the way Winter, that bottom rock is pretty sweet. Shrimp will love to play in it if you ever add any.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived