Pod Your Reef

About to add LR -- am I safe?

moorediddy

moorediddy

Ok, so I just set up a 15g long two days ago. So far everything seems to be going well, we added the water, brought it up to 78 degrees, and SG up to about 1.020. Then I added 20lbs of Nature's Ocean, and brought the SG up to 1.022-1.023. It's been running like that for a day or two now, mixing around. SG is still around 1.022-1.023, and temp is staying at 78. My question is, what else do I need to test before adding LR? I tested the pH, but accidently got a kit for freshwater (It was right next to the saltwater kits, and I grabbed the wrong one). The FW scale only goes to 7.6, and my water tested above that. So it seems fine for now. Is there a risk for killing my LR when I put it in there if something isn't right? I'd hate to waste $75 on LR, just to kill it because of a stupid noobie error. So yeah, if you guys could give me some tips on this, thanks..

(Also, if anyone in San Diego knows of some really good places to get LR, let me know... ha)

-moore

I would say to go ahead. You won't kill your LR, but you will have some dieoff nevertheless. This will help cycle your tank. With some time, the LR will recover.

Christopher Marks

As long as the SG is correct, the temp is correct, and you have used marine aquarium salt mix, there's nothing to worry about. The LR will be ok if there's some minor imbalances, just pick up a new pH test kit as soon as you can.

moorediddy

Hey thanks guys...

I'll be picking up the proper pH test kit tomorrow when I get the LR... tested the water again tonight, looking good so far. SG 1.023, Temp 78, and ammonia around .25.

-Moore

Well, that's not necessarily good if you're adding rock to a tank with life in it. But, yes, it's good if you're just cycling some rock. :)

It's all relative.

John

moorediddy

Yeah, guess I should have said that. There's nothing in there yet, just the sand and water. I brought the SG up to about 1.020 before adding the LR, I'll bring it up a little more while it's cycling.

-moore

Archived