ReefCleaners.org

Chili Coral Limp

rperrice

I got a small chili coral two days ago and its limp and just laying in the sand. It still has a nice deep red color but something doesn't seem right. My water readings are normal. From what I read on the boards its a low light coral and I put it at the side of my tank by a cave which is probably the least illuminated part of my tank, however its still in the light. My lighting is the 32watt CSL retrofit kit. Could it just be getting used to the new environment? Should I move it? I saw one reefer's posting saying he glued it upside down to the back of his tank and his CC sprang to life.

I would feed it, except I thought its supposed to have polyps that open up and then you feed them. I have seen some small bumps on parts of the chili that look like polyps beginning to bud but nothing so far. Can you feed this coral without its polyps opened?

Chili corals open up at night. Check on it about an hour or so after the lights are out in the tank and you should see the polyps opening up. Feed it when the polyps are open.

Chilis can be really weird. My friend had a lot of luck feeding it in isolation. He would remove the piece, put it in a little container and load it up with photo and brine. It got huge; they can really grow quickly if they are happy.

Archived