Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Aquaclear Filters

NanoJrFL

I am going to switch my stock filter for a aquaclear HOB. What size is the largest I can put on my tank? Could I place my heater in the filter? Also is the surface skimming attachment forr the aquaclears any good?

c_k_kuehne

Yes I too would also like to hear some feedback on the surface skimmer attachment for Aquaclear HOB's

It might just be me but I never got the surface skimmer to work right. I Made a small skimmer box & have never been happier!!!

Just o.o2

PS> If you place the heater in the filter be sure NOT to remove it while its on.

Well it was only $9.99 so I ordered one.

I have been considering the overflow box thing.

Anyway should be in by the end of the week. Will try it out and let everyone know how it worked (or didn't work) for me.

I've got one and have been using it for over 2 years on bow tanks. I've not had a single issue with them as long as they are maintained. The adjustment screw can get stuck with reef buildup and hard to move so I move mine around once a week to keep the threads clean. Other than that the only thing would be the suction cups which I ended up siliconing to the tank. Here is a link to some older pics of my setup. I'll have some current ones soon.

http://www.californiareefs.com/surfaceskimmer7reef.htm

To me it was worth all 8.99 I paid for it and more. Very worth it in my opinion but if you don't clean the threads out once in a while it'll be a PITA to work with. It's also much more pleasant with a evaporation makeup system to keep a stable water level....it could gurgle a lot more and make you more conscious of your evaporation.

Cameron

I totally agree with Physh1. Best $9 I ever spent in this hobby to date. It keeps the surface of my tank crystal clear.

And Cameron I keep forgetting to PayPal you for one of your topoff kits but I will get that done soon just so you know! :)

Thanks!

I got my surface skimmer yesterday.

It's a little big for a minibow 7 but it's black and my background is painted black so it doesn't stand out too bad.

It took a few min to install. It draws water from both your surface and near the bottom of your tank. There is an adjustment screw which allows you to control how much water from surface skimming compared to from the bottom of your tank. The adjustment was easy to get correct so it skims good and doesn't let any air bubbles into the HOB.

It would be easy to modify to fit any HOB. And it does skim really good. Glad I bought it.

MattGecko -- I imagine if it doesn't work it's because the black part was installed too high up in the tank and the clear section wasn't floating properly. Just a thought.

freakaccident

I saw a pic of someone's tank from here once that made his own skimmer attachment out of a u-tube and the skimmer nozzle that came with the aquaclear. Looked slick and smaller than the aquaclear gizmo. Just another idea for you.

Archived