Cultivated Reef

Today's Experiment

MrAnderson

sure - that would work long-term. but it takes a while for bare/low-life rock to get colonized by other seed rock. it all depends what your goals are. your strategy is fine, many people take that route successfully and end up with beautiful tanks. my goals were a little different, to have a biotope-type tank with as much native life on it as possible. i'm at one extreme, paranoid about "contamination" with life from other biotopes. most take a more moderate approach, but this really was a sort of "experiment" for me.

in reefing, almost any approach works well if handled properly!

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh, i was hoping that i could build up a good population of bacteria in the tank now so that when i add the un-cured rock it will be availible to process more of the ammonia than if i just had sand. i figured that having an established(or at least semi-established) bio-filter in place in combination with some water changes would be enough to greatly shorten the cycle from the un-cured rock and preserve a good amount of the life on it.

sure - that would work long-term. but it takes a while for bare/low-life rock to get colonized by other seed rock. it all depends what your goals are. your strategy is fine, many people take that route successfully and end up with beautiful tanks. my goals were a little different, to have a biotope-type tank with as much native life on it as possible. i'm at one extreme, paranoid about "contamination" with life from other biotopes. most take a more moderate approach, but this really was a sort of "experiment" for me.

in reefing, almost any approach works well if handled properly!

oops, didn't see this. my goal was basically to just have as much of a variety of organisms in my tank as possible, i love hearing all the story about people find weird/interesting things in their rocks that they had never seen before and i just don't see that happening when i'm getting cured/used rock.

oops, didn't see this. my goal was basically to just have as much of a variety of organisms in my tank as possible, i love hearing all the story about people find weird/interesting things in their rocks that they had never seen before and i just don't see that happening when i'm getting cured/used rock.

ah, i see. yeah, most LFS "cured" rock is usually just devoid of anything but coraline, and frequently devoid of that too for the msot part as well. not much fun, biology-wise with that, i agree.

it WOULD be a little risky to put uncured, shipped rock into an established tank, for the reasons spanko said. it can be arranged though, if you don't have corals or other sensitive things already in there. don't forget that even though my rock was excellent qualilty, i still saw some ammonia, albeit very little. it wasn't enough to kill anything off that i could see, but it WOULD be a bit of a gamble to do it, unless you could soft cycle the rock in a separate tank or container - that would work well i think.

looks great mr. a! and for the record, the uber cool crowd is doing sw planted tanks ;) (just kidding cesar!)

well i guess that's me then!

take that C!!! UBER-EFFIN-COOL.

WHERE'S YOUR PLANTED SW TANK? HMMM?

I have a planted cherry shrimp tank. BOOM!

(Yeah, they're the poor gal's crystal/bee shrimp. :( )

LOL I = WINNAR!

And it's FW!! But I win because I have boobies and I can make you uncomfortable by crying or even just pouting. :P

"Chris, that's a terrible word! ...'Boobies'..."

RayWhisperer

Who are you talking to? Mr. A. or me? If it's me, my name isn't Chris.... We'll just keep my real name a secret. I prefer the anonymity.

I'm referring to Chris from "The Family Guy", lol.

whofeelsitknowsit

Lois: I'm worried about your father.

Chris: Why, because he's a borderline alcoholic?

Lois: No. Mommy's made peace with that.

Chris: Oh, because he's got a lump on his booby.

not much going on. thinking about adding a coral.

pink macro is growing. anyone know what it is?:

0101.JPG

as is the Halimeda. only this side of the tank has life. i think the tank is ready for corals. it's getting necessary, aesthetically speaking.

0036.JPG

fts:

0022.JPG

and "the thing" is ok too:

0111.JPG

I THINK YOU SHOULD KILL THE THING

I have seen that pink fingery-looking macro, usually it's crimson and comes in on hermit-crabs' shells or corals. I'll check our Sprung "Algae" book and see if it's in there, but I don't think it is.

Also I like the Halimeda. I should have sent you some of mine; it was the big-coin kind and total rox0rs. But yours is cute and very green.

Add some shrooms or zoas. JMO.

OOO OR RED CHERRY SHRIMP FTW! :lol:

DO EET BLOOOOOG

DSC03619_resize.jpg

Archived