Innovative Marine Aquariums

first impressions of lighting upgrade

swordfish

I just got my new smartlite retrofit installed in my 7 bow, my first departure from it's stock lighting. All I can say is MAN IS THAT EVER A LOT BLUER! I guess I'll get used to it but man it sure looks blue-ish. I guess I was wondering if this was anyone else' impression of the CSL retrofit.

At an ambient room temp of 73 deg, the temp in the tank now holds pretty steady at 78.8 without the help of the heater. Lights off, the heater kicks on at about 77 degs to keep the temp right about there, which is where I set it at. We'll see how well a pedestal fan does tomorrow at keeping the whole thing cooled with the lights on while my air conditioner struggles all day to keep the ambient air temp in my apartment at 77.

To someone with not a lot of mechanical ability this could be an install you'd have to think your way through on a seven bow hood, especially since they only include instructions as to how to install it in an Eclipse. I don't know what universe most suppliers and manufacturers are living in but it's obviously one where nobody retrofits their lights into a 7 bow hood.

Next stop........finally gettin' some corals!

JCS

Yeah, it's quite a but bluer, especially if you were using the stock bulb in the 7 bow. I just did the same and it kinda shocked me how crappy looking the stock flourescent bulb was.

Cameron

Archived