Cultivated Reef

Which corals like high currents and which don't?

Dennis_said

Dennis_said

I'm really lost on this... I have a Rio 90 right now at 85 gph... that's all so far, I have one more room to add another PH, just dunno what yet.... any advice?

And is there something that I can read that can help me learn which corals or sps or whatever like high currents and which like low currents? I heard that I can just place my corals in the right places and it'd be great, any ideas regarding the currents for corals would much be appreciated!

Thanks a lot guys! :)

harbingerofthefish

It gets real specific depending on the type of coral. So much so that you can't really answer by lumping the corals into sps, lps, soft generalizations.

for the most part SPS like high flow, more direct than other corals.

Go to your LFS and see if they have a copy of (forgive me if I get this wrong) Aquarium Corals by Borneman. It has great info on the natural habitats ie...flow,etc... of a lot of coral. A couple of my LFS have it and in a place where anyone can flip through it.

I know this doesn't really answer the question, but if you were asking about 1 coral in particular a more precise answer could be given.

Dennis_said

Ah thanks a lot harbinger... I will definitely try and see if I can check out the book that you're speaking of!

Archived