Top Shelf Aquatics

Qualities of a Good LIVE ROCK

Dennis_said

Dennis_said

What are the qualities that I should be looking for in a proper piece of live rock? I don't want to buy somethign that isn't worth my money since it adds up in price =T

I've read the articles, but I wish to hear it from my fellow forum buddies for more self-assurance :)

Thanks!

Qualities that most folks look for are:

lightweight

porous

encrusted with coralline algae

You don't want:

bleached rock covered in a film of green algae

rock covered with rotting organisms

Make sure you know whether the rock you are purchasing is cured or uncured. Uncured is unmistakeable, as above it is likely to be covered with decomposing material, and will smell like a sewer. If you are very new to reefkeeping, I would recommend sticking to cured live rock.

Dennis_said

Ahh, yes, I am very new, and I'm loving the learning process :-D

What will coralline algae look like? And how can I tell if the organizms are rotting?

Thanks!

coralline is red, purple, pink algae that grows on good live rock. Very easy toi notice...

If something is rotting your nose will tell you! Smell the rock, it shouldnt smell or it should smell like the ocean, not like @%$#

Dennis_said

Awesome thanks... to be honest, the live rocks I see at the stores are pretty WHITE if anything... I dunno if it's because of the light or whatever, but yeah... hehe, I will pay a better look at them next time I'm there.

WorldNation

hey dennis! where in S. Cali do u live? i know where to get the best(seriously) live rock down here. a place called Rainbow Pets. they specilize in cichlids and saltwater fish, and they wont rip u off...much. lol. but they are cool there. tell me where u live. in the valley? i know pretty much every lfs in the area :)

Originally posted by WorldNation

i know pretty much every lfs in the area :)

post the addresses and reviews.

WorldNation
Originally posted by adinsxq

hmm, actually, im thinking baout doing that on my website. i'll post a link in here as soon as that's up.

Billdemart
Originally posted by adinsxq

I will add a "please here" since adinsqx forgot.

Archived