Innovative Marine Aquariums

finger leather

englishreefer

englishreefer

I have bought a finger leather 3 days ago, it is doing fine (nice and pink, polyps wide open).

my concern is i have heard that if their is a small white, rice looking build up at the base that somethings wrong, please explain. is their reason for concern, as i said it seems happy enough

the 'rice' are usually evidence of a parasite (their fecal pellets). they eat the coral flesh and poop out rice crap. sometimes it isn't crap but eggs of the parasite but those are usually standing on end and attached underneath a branch of the coral for protection.

the coral will usually show the first signs of an infestation by staying closed but i have seen corals stay open as well as the parasites bore thru them. surgery is usually what is recommended or a soaking (i think is more stressful).

what kind of finger leather is it btw?

englishreefer

im not sure what type, guy at store just said finger leather, didnt know their was many. how can i be sure it is a parasite. how would i go about surgery. this is my first coral, please help me, my confidence has been growing daily, i want it to stay that way, what is its chances of survival.

please help,

thanx

sorry, i thought it was a hypothetical question. i didn't think you actually had the rice-like buildup. a pic of the coral and the rice-debris is the best 1st step as it gives a better estimate of the coral from its morphology at least. the more info you give then the better input you can receive.

i wouldn't start cutting or dosing until you know what kind of coral you have and what conditions it can withstand (i.e. current strength, body fluid/structure, typical predator/parasites, etc.). knowledge is power. :) (or at least it can save you money :P )

englishreefer

i will try and borrow my brothers camera, im no expert but i think it may be a sinularia sp. but as i say i cant be 100% sure

englishreefer

i have just had a quick poke around, the pellets are solid. do u think it may just be gravel that the leather has attached to in the store, the rock it is on is a y shape, with the foot just in the t, the pellets are underneith this.

are the pellets identical or irregular shape?

you can pick up the rock base and sneak a peek. is there a small gap between the coral base/foot and the rock?

Archived