Pod Your Reef

cannister mod?

drdrew

has anyone successfully modified a large cannister filter to reduce flow so that you could add water volume to your tank and additional live rock without crazy flow rates?

harbingerofthefish

are you talking about making the canister pump slower, or just mod-ing the flow so that it doesn't come shooting out from one spot so hard?

http://harbingerofthefish.reefcrazed.com/setupmod.html

I'm setting up a 20 and have done a similar thing with a HOT Mag cannister. Plumbed the output into a "T" and ran pvc across the top of the tank into the back and front corners.

i hope to use a spray bar to aggitate my surface water...but i'd like to use a large cannister for volume...so i'm talking about making the cannister pump slower...maybe by using a smaller impeller?

I used a Fluval 203 on a 20H with an Eheim surface extractor. I split the output. One fed my hang on protein skimmer and the other was to a spray bar at the bottom of the tank behind the LR.

Don't know about the smaller impeller, something I've never tried. If the impeller doesn't work, I would think redirecting the flow somehow would be successful. Is this for your 15? How large a cannister?

yah...for the 15 high.

i'm not sure how large, i just thought larger would be better for the volume and the amount of liverock i could add...

i was looking at the clear little eheim..the 2213-37. output is 116gph, which i guess may be mellow enough. but i'm not sure the dimensions, and i'm not sure if it comes with a spraybar. i like that it is clear, so i can see if anything is living on the rock...like pods/etc....i'm not sure if it could act as a pod refugium or if the little dudes would get chopped up in the impeller.....

i think i'll try to do a little more research on filters...so far i've just browsed the dr's catalog.

harbingerofthefish

You could always snap one of the baldes on the impeller. Kinda of a drastic solution, but you can always buy another impeler if your not happy with it.

not a bad idea...any engineers know if this would work better than say cutting the ends off all the blades to try and maintain a balance?

harbingerofthefish

I would think it would acheive the same effect. As for it going off balance, I don't think it would be a problem due to the size of the impeller shaft in relation to the "drive hole thing". Filing down all the blades sounds like a good idea just in case.

p.s. I'm no engineer, just a DIYer that breaks things and hope they work again.

Canister filters scare me. Anything that pumps water out of my tank into a box under my tank scares me. I have a friend that used a canister filter on his freshwater tank. Ended up flooding the room below the tank because of a leak.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they work. But, the principle just scares me.

John

i'd probably leave the 116 gph alone...but if i could put on a bigger one and calm it down i'd have more water and liverock...

Archived