Top Shelf Aquatics

Moonlights - What to use?

myelin

I have an Eclipse 12 gallon tank and want to rig up some moon lights. I think they are pretty neat. I am looking for a simple way to go about doing this, since my budget (or lack thereof) is tight.

What ways do you recommend I go about this?

Thanks.

You could go with the Miracle beam setup for $24 then buy 2 of their blue LEDS for $8 each. Or this is what I doing. I bought the Auto accent LEDS from autozone they are a nifty little barell case that can be swiviled around after attached. They are not waterproof but they are cool looking and if they are behind glass it should be safe for a while. They were $12 for a pair they also have some for $6 pair which are waterproof but can't be adjusted after attached. Both are 12V so you will need a power supply. I'm going by Wally-world and picking up a car cig lighter adapter for something like $10.

HTH!

Chris

Does the miracle beam setup work very well? I wanted light over the whole tank, but having the individual LED's might be a neat lighting effect.

Let me know how your project turns out.

Not sure how well the miracle beams work. There are several people on the board that have them. you might try search and see what you come up with. I'll try and post a few pics this weekend of my moonlights.

Oh ya another moonlight Idea someone else tried. They bought those square indigo glowing night lights and put a couple of those over the tank.

Chris

Anyone else have any ideas? I am trying to play next weekend's project while I have the hood off.

Thanks, and have a good weekend.

Chamkeeper

Radio Shack LEDs, Blue, 2600 MCD(?), 3.7V, 20mA nom., 30mA max. $3.99 ea.

Resistor(s) for current limit, ~$1 for 4 or 6

Old plug in DC power supply, free, $10 if you have to buy one.

A little solder and some heatshrink tubing and your moonlit.

I am familair with a standard LED. I am aware that there is the light, housing, and 2 wires. One wire is power, and the other is ground. Now, where does the resistor come into play in this? Do I solder and heat shrink it to the power side of the LED?

I really like the setup I saw on here before that was done with 4 LED's (I believe) attached to a strip of aluminum. I think that was pretty sharp.

The only problem I have with the kits are the price, and the area of the tank the LED unit shines on. I guess I will have to DIY this one, and be proud of myself when I'm done.

Now if you will excuse me, I have some homework to do. If you don't hear back from me in a week, call the police. B)

I have just installed the customsealife moon light. it looks cool at night and puts a nice glow in the water. it is however, a 50/50 light so i am unsure as to how it will affect the the corals. I do not have any pics of it on my site yet but am hoping to have them all posted by the weekend.

www.eazyreef.com

Archived