inTank Media Baskets

110g tank planning

Maeda

110g.jpg

I have no idea how to plan a big tank. Help!

60x30x18"

The stand will probably be built from welded steel, with a 1/8" wooden shell.

The side pieces to cover the 3 lower cavities will be made from fabric stretched on wooden frames, press fit into the stand.

I was going to try and hide 2 Tunze Streams, or 4 Nano Streams behind the false wall for flow.

The stand has a removable side piece for super easy access to the sump, and skimmer.

In the stand is a 20g ATO reservoir. I might downsize this.

Right in front of the ATO reservoir, you can see the sump return pump.

Anyone got any tips? More pics to come.

110gsump.jpg

The sump is built out of a 20 long AGA. It should only takes 4 pieces of acrylic to make.

Dual overflows, one into a phosban-reactor section, and the other into the skimmer chamber.

The chamber's big enough to fit...

BK Mini 160

Tunze 9010

H&S

Deltec mc500

It flows into a center bubble trap, and then a center exit to an external pump. There's room for sensors and probes in the last chamber. There will be NO FUGE. I hate them in sps tanks, and I refuse to use one.

falsewall.jpg

More detail of whats behind the false wall. If I go with powerheads of anykind, i'll have to divide the rear chamber to prevent flooding my sump in a power outage. Sorry for the ######ty diagram. You get the point.

The left chamber, and the right chamber hold spots for Tunzes. The center chamber is driller for a dual overflow + a return.

cordkeeper.jpg

Under the rear chamber cover, there's a slot for keeping cords. I figure I can make the slot pretty small, and use a cover piece much like the cover for the sump.

Does anyone know who makes LARGEr glass tanks in socal? Preferably braceless, but i could deal with eurobracing if I have to.

• 3 weeks later...
falsewall.jpg

More detail of whats behind the false wall. If I go with powerheads of anykind, i'll have to divide the rear chamber to prevent flooding my sump in a power outage. Sorry for the ######ty diagram. You get the point.

The left chamber, and the right chamber hold spots for Tunzes. The center chamber is driller for a dual overflow + a return.

cordkeeper.jpg

Under the rear chamber cover, there's a slot for keeping cords. I figure I can make the slot pretty small, and use a cover piece much like the cover for the sump.

Does anyone know who makes LARGEr glass tanks in socal? Preferably braceless, but i could deal with eurobracing if I have to.

wow if you can pull this off it would be amazing. good sketchup

On a tank that long, I would want dual returns on opposite ends of the tank. I'm not sure that putting the tunzes on one end of the tank will really cover the flow throughout the tank. And for the price of 2xTunzes, you might consider the vortech's.

I was looking at the tunze 9010 and deltec mce500/600, but I wasn't impressed with the reviews I found...too inconsistent. The H&S skimmers look really good.

I agree on the fuge...I hate them period.

What are you thinking for stocking? And lighting?

SPS. Lots of SPS. :D Very few fish if any. I have a realllly hard time keeping my fish alive for some strange reason.

I own a 9010, and i love it. i'm getting a mc500 in two days so i'll see how that works out.

I'm still not sure on lights.

2x175w iwasaki's 15000l + 2 60"t5 HO

3 150w + 4 t5ho

2 150w + 2 daylight t5ho + 2 actinic 5ho

hmmm i still disagree about the fuge, you need some sort of nutrient export unless you go with a media reactor and plumb it into the sump

as for the glass i would say if you want those dimensions and a rimless tank that it would take 3/4" glass, at least thats the thinnest glass that a tank manufacturer would go with just to cover their ass

as for the flow its going to be hard to keep SPS in a 5" long tank with only nanostreams on one side, i would say save some money and go with two vortechs on the wireless controller when they come out, you can pretty much have unlimited kinds of flow and would look very clean in the tank

• 2 months later...

Out of curiosity, why the fuge hating? Of course, you prob will have plenty of pods and such in the display itself if you don't have much in the way of fish, but i'm still curious as to why you dislike fuges.

- Josh

Still planning?

FUNDRAISING. :lol:

Out of curiosity, why the fuge hating? Of course, you prob will have plenty of pods and such in the display itself if you don't have much in the way of fish, but i'm still curious as to why you dislike fuges.

I only really dislike the fuge in a strictly SPS tank. My last 2 tanks have proved to me that they just collect garbage. I found it a LOT easier reducing my phosphates and nitrates to nothing(near nothing) when I ditched my fuge.

Untitled.jpg

Here's the updated plan

Lighting

DIY canopy from aluminum

2x Lumenmax 2 reflectors

2x 60" T5HO

Display

60"x30"x20"

LOW water level at about 16" to prevent splashies

Plumbing

Panworld 1200gph sump return

Vortech(?), Polario(?), Dart CLS(?)

I think i'm going with a closet sump room or something on this. It doesn't make sense to build my sump near my stand at this point in time.

Archived