Coral Vue Hydros

Nano Reef Only Store

JonnyMiata

JonnyMiata

What do you think about a Nano Reef Store? The store would be greared towards simplicity. There would only be one or two tank sizes to choose from. Maybe just only offer 7 gallon Minbows. You would have a check list when you entered the store and you could just go from station to station buying heaters, power heads, thermometers, top-off systems, HOB filters, and lighting. Checking off what you need. There would be some beautiful Nanos already set up for examples of how great a little tank could be. The tanks with live stock would only have nano tank friendly fish, inverts, and corals. No sharks, tangs, trigger, and butterflies. There would be a great assorment of live rock and sand available. The store would have meetings every month for enthusiasts to come and talk and trade. I would have experts come in and give talks. Information would be the key to this store. The more the customer would know about keeping a nano, the better the success rate and interest in the hobby. The store would also offer office aquarium services that would come out and maintain a nano at various offices around town.

I have come to a point in my life where I am tired of my job and I think I would like to open a store like this. Am I nuts to think something like this would fly or is this a good idea?

Jonny

If you are in this for making money than a nano only store isn't going to cut it IMO. You are excluding out all the people who want a big tank.

A LFS sells small and large tanks, which gets the best of both worlds.

Christopher Marks

I had a nano reef only store online, and it didn't work out. I don't see how anyone could do it at a retail store front. :(

The market is just too small to limit your products to nano reefs only.

add a cappuccino machine and a couple of tables with high speed internet access and you may have a chance.

a couple of lap dancers and a big sign that says "Reefers" should boost sales too. :woot:

I have an aquarium only store near me that does great buisness. It's always 5 people deep from open to close. It only specializes in aquariums and such products, and does extremely well. I also think "nano" is too small of a niche, but if its a "fish" store, I think you'll do great given good location and advertisement.

SeaMountain

Jonny... Sounds like a plan to me. The 'Natti has to have quite the population base. Do a bit of demographic testing and see what you come up with.

Specializing in a niche market can make you a ton of money if it takes off. You might end up the 'Starbucks' of nano-reefs! Or you could flame.

Write up a business plan and due your due diligence and see where you come out at. B)

I called Eclipse and asked them if they would sell a nano ready tank/hood combo with good lighting. They replied that it would not be profitable. I am convinced that the people who make a big buck in the pet industry do it on a massive scale. And then you have to own the company. Takes $ to make $. Even then its risky and takes 24/7 dedication. But then again everyone has their idea of a good time.

JonnyMiata

Thanks for the feedback. I have a lot to think about. I think the niche thing will work. We have other stores in Cincy that sell large reef system but I think the small system would appeal to more people. The club house like atmosphere would promote community and get other to want to participate.

The internet has really helped the exchange and ideas of this hobby just in the past 3 years. If it weren't for this forum and others, I would not have ventured back to the hobby.

I see others with success and it makes me want to have the same. This concept of mini-reefs is very appealing to me and others who may not even know that a mini-reef can be kept.

Something to think about.

Jonny

Chamkeeper

I think selling one size tank is a little to niche. 4 or 5 sizes might work better. The other thing to consider would be hooking up with a cabinet / furniture builder so you can offer custom hoods and stands. Real tank furniture versus the particle board junk that is commercially available for small tanks. I hate trying to find a decent looking stand, I always end up making one.

JonnyMiata

Hey, great idea Chamkeeper. A friend of mine builds custom garage cabinets that look great. It may be a good fit for both of us.

Something to think about ... every small / marine-only storefront I've stepped in uses the store, to some extent, as a way to build a client base for service contracts. The going rate seems to be a buck / gallon / week. A few restaurants or hotels with big tanks = an OK living, if you can deal with being on call for tank emergencies. Having a storefront makes it easy to see what kind of service you can give.

A nano-only store cuts you out of where the real action is; you'd barely cover travel time at $20 / week / tank :o

Nishant3789

actualy about hte cuppacinos its are al idea! one store near me called cuppacino bay aquarium is abseicalyl a coffee shop lfs, really cool! and attracts many many customers. think about it.

I like the Reefer Cafe idea, coffee and reef tanks, a good way to get people back into the store for more upgrades etc... spend $5 or more and get a free water test :)

you also want to think about running some type of educational sessions for either prospective customers (so the know what the're getting in to) and for ppl you just sold tanks to (so they don't kill everything then demand their money back :))

you also need a nice big wall for ppl to put pics of their tanks.. you go into an lfs and just expect super looking tanks so it's nice to see cool looking customer tanks too (IMO).....

-skeletor-

Archived