inTank Media Baskets

pH help

acaterino

My pH is around 7.8. I know I need to raise it, but I'm not sure how. My LFS recommended adding a buffer and use a product called AgraMilk.

Does anybody else have a suggestion.

You should take a look at your alkalinity value. It should be around 12-14 dkh or around 4 meq/l (those are just 2 ways tests measure the value).

A low alk value will cause a low and unstable pH value.

If it is low you need a good alk buffer like SeaChem Reef Builder.

Cameron

Dennis_said

Yep there's a test kit for alkalinity :-d most reef test kits will have them for you... SeaChem's basic marine kit includes them :)

that sounds ok to me, 8.2 - 8.4 in the evening is ok although your morning low is a little low..

Alk at 3.0 is just a little low but still ok and well within an acceptable range.

most pH buffers (ie seachem marine buffer) will drive alk up, which can lead to other problems so be wary of using anything like that on a regular basis.

are you currently dosing anything ?

how much evap per day are you replacing ?

I use a kalk drip at night to replace evap, kalk has a pH of 12 so it must be added slowly, and at night when the pH is dropping... it helps me keep my pH between 8.0 and 8.35.

-skeletor-

Curretnly my tank is still cycling so I haven't done any water changes. As far as evap, I have only noticed about 1/4" difference afeter about a week. Currently I only have a 13watt CF that came with my Eclipse 12. I plan on doig FOWLR for awhile and then upgrade to a 32 watt retrofit.

I just tested the pH and alk this morning around 9:30am my time and the pH is around 8.0 - 8.2 (closer to 8.2) and the alk seems to be about the same at 3.0 meq/l.

By the way I really appreciate everybody's help.

Archived