Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

coopdogyo 72 bow

coopdogyo

i have had a fresh water 55 set up for 8 months now i am moving on to a 72 bow front since i am olny 13 years old this tank will be on a tight buget so if you see any ways to save money just tell me. to start my tnak has not arrived yet becasue i ordered it on there sale day so it was put in a pile with aout 200 other orders. i am getting a 72 gallon bow front oceanic sump 2 and a blck pine stand it should arive on wedsday my secound day of school. i am keeping my stocking light because i want to save money. 2 occelius clowns 1bicolor blenny 1 flame angel fish and 2 bangii cardinel fish. the skimmer will be a coralife 125.

coop

First, like to welcome you to nano-reef, this is the site that nearly 5 years ago started my little obession with my 16 bow and now its at 120.

If your deadset ont he CSS 125, there are a few mods that significantly improve performance and are well worth a look. A simple search should reveal them. Also, check out the classfields, you'll save lots of money. This forum tends to have a small classfields, but over at RC its huge and they tend to be for larger tanks so its more useful. The people here are by far more helpful when it comes to questions.

Eddie

Hey im a college student i know all about a tight budget.... just go slow anyways its best for your tank anyways... also i would make a complete list of what you need and price range or else its easy to get out of control partly on impluse... also any DIY's you can do by your self go for it my ghetto drip system for water is a 2 liter pepsi bottle with 2 holes in it and im gonna make my own canopy with metal halide lighting for about $100.00.

equipment

protein skimmer

$ 134.99

CORALIFE NEEDLE WHEEL SKIMMER 125 GAL

Pet solutions

pump

$ 54.99

MAG DRIVE PUMP 7

Pet solutions

power head

$ 34.99

Seio M620 Super Flow Pump

Marine depot

Refractometer

$ 49.99

Marine Depot Aquarium Refractometer

Marine depot

power head

$ 39.98

Eheim Aquaball Powerhead- 1212

Marine depot

heater *2

$ 32.98

Visi-Therm Submersible Heater

fish.com

test kit

$ 13.99

Saltwater Liquid Master Test Kit

aquarium guys

lights

$ 109.90

260W (4-65 watt) Dual Strip Compact Fluorescent Light Fixture

aquatraders

RO/DI

$ 129.00

COMPACT (5) Stage R.O.D.I.

air water and ice

reef test kit

$ 20.89

Reef Master Test Kit

that Pet place

base rock

$ 125.00

50 Pound Box Fiji Base Rock

marco rocks

live rock

$ 113.60

Cultured Fiji Live Rock - 20 lb Box

that Pet place

live sand *2

$ 73.98

Carib Sea Ocean Direct Live Sand - 40LB

big als

shipping

$ 12.99

shipping from pet solutions

shipping

$ 9.99

shipping from marine depot

shipping

$ 9.94

shipping from fish.com

shipping

$ 8.67

shipping from aquarium guys

shipping

$ 18.93

shipping from aqua traders

shipping

$ 17.95

shipping from air water and ice

shipping

$ 20.98

shipping from that pet place

shipping

$ 20.05

shipping from marco rocks

shipping

$ 64.10

shipping from big als

Total basic equipment

$1,117.88

heres my list if any one sees away to save mony please tell me. i will elimanate the livesand and live rockand just go with the base rock and some from my lfs

first.....HIGHLY suggest the RC classfields you will find most of that stuff super cheap especialy the CSS skimmer and the mag pumps when compared to retail. I just bought a mag 5 pump from here for 35 dollars shipped and I saw a Mag 7 over at RC for 50 shipped. Just my advice because I once bought all new stuff when I started and now if at all possible I'll buy used.

wow, I'm impressed, you've really got your stuff together. Definitely check out any and all places for used equipment. Most of the time it's barely used because people upgrade to bigger and better things in this hobby all the time. Other than the skimmer the only thing I would suggest is go with only 40 lbs of sand. I've got 40 lbs in my 55 and actually wish there was a little less. So with the little bit of an added footprint from the bow of the 72 I'd say that 40 pounds would be perfect. 80 lbs would give you like a 5" sand bed which isn't quite enough to be beneficial, but deep enough to be a pain in the rear-end. I vote the less sand, the better off you are.

edit: You will LOVE the dry rock from marco rocks. It is top notch stuff.

thanks my dad said i better have a good plan now i just need to find away to pay for it any ideas i pull in about 90 amonth from my aquarium cleaning bisness but my dad wants to be payed back by x-mas

What type of corals do you plan to keep? Im also in the process of seeting up my 72 bow. Your list looks really good. IMO T5 HO or MH might be a better choice for the lights. I had a 2X96 watt PC Coralife lunar aqualight over my 46 bow for a while. I wasn't happy with the 10,000k bulb and couldn't find any other options (ie 14,000k) exept for a different brand of 10,000k (which still gave off a yellow tinge instead of a crisp white).

T5 HO with individual reflectors give off some really good light and have many different bulbs to choose from. Same goes for MH.

Im debating between the TEK 48" T5 HO 6 bulb unit, and 2 250 watt MH HQI pentants with T5 actinics for my 72 bow.

Just my 2 cents though.

triggz

reefgeek.com has a clearance on some tek fixtures, and most of the prices include bulbs!!

then sunglight systems (makers of Tek) has an outlet store on ebay....fyi for both of you.

I want to get the giesemann infinity 2x250 hqi + 2 54 T5 B)

http://www.giesemann.co.uk/infinity.htm

If I can somehow find a deal on one In Canada Im going to jump on it. Shipping is a killer for me though.

Nice prices on those Teks eddie... just dont know how bad the shipping would set me back. Some couriers are reasonable (fed ex ground) and some are brutal (UPS) when shipping over the border.

ithink i will upgrade to 3 t-5 330 watt system and put the 4-65watts on my 55 later. i have been working on my stocking list i know i want at least one fire fish and a pair of peciula clowns also a bi color blenny and a tang or angel fish if there is room a royal gramma or 6 line warsse

Archived