SaltCritters.com

1.5 gallon tank help!!

Soulcatcher

Soulcatcher

Hey i got a 1.5 gallon tank sitting beside me it used to hold goldfish now its all cleaned out and sitting here waiting to be filled with a nano-reef ..

now

i need help on how to go about setting it up and what to get for it. I wont be putting fish in it since it is so small and that would just be so crule so ..

I am new i have read a lot but still dont know how to go about setting it up as in putting in the rock first or salt then rock and so on ..

all your help will be great i plan on going to a 10 - 12 gallon tank within the year.

Thank you

Daniel

problems i've encountered:

1. powerhead takes up half the tank

2. evaporation can cause problems

3. heater takes up the other half

4. adequate water movement

5. lighting. (suitable bulbs)

6. small volume heats up quickly

7. space - where to put the rock

8. livestock - snails/crabs may starve

9. overfeeding

10. overstocking

11. cleaning stuff - hands don't really fit after rock/ph/heater

12. trying to supp. (OD. just change water instead)

13. general problems with small environments (volume of water) - toxins and pollutants, quality and compositon fluctuations, etc.

yeah... stuff like that. if i were you, as much as i know it'll be hard, i'd wait for the 10g. between now and then, do some good planning and everything should turn out much better.

salt goes in the water. water goes in the tank. rock goes in the water in the tank.

figure out the answers to those types of questions first ;)

good luck :)

as adin suggests i would reverse your thinking, 10G or more first then go smaller. the greater the water volume the larger your margin for error. for a smaller tank, all your actions/reactions are magnified and things can easily spiral out of control. therein lies the 'difficulty' in them. the larger tanks 55g~125g are 'easier' but obviously more expensive tho. X)

if you want critters and a picturesque tank i would opt for at least the 10g first. as you learn about the hobby you can condense it into a smaller tank. brandon429 has many very successful and beautiful pico-reef tanks and is probably the preeminent source on the sub-2.5g reef tanks imo.

Soulcatcher

ahh thanks over night i decided to just go straight for the 10 gal so yah i read more and figured that would be the best i understand what you guys are saying about the bigger the easier and i figure that would be the best bet .. thanks i will post pictures tonight if i get it up to that point ..

till

then laters

Archived