Pod Your Reef

Refractometer

cowfishlover

cowfishlover

Who's using a refractometer and what scale does it use? I use one for measuring sugar in liquids. It doesn't read on a scale that measures 1.024. I usually go for a reading of 10 to 12 with sugar. Does anyone's use this scale?

Lunchbucket

i use one

i dont' know if the ones for sugar would work w/ salt water....not sure.  if they would i would just shoot for a  1.024 if that is what you use.  most keep thier tanks at 33ppm or so but those are the salt ones

Lunchbucket

cowfishlover

Mine does give a reading even though its used for sugar. I was thinking I can take it to the lfs and take a reading and see if it matches my water at home. That way I can have a second opinion.

cowfishlover

I have one of each. I checked it on a guy's tank at work. I just wanted to see if anyone's had the same scale as mine and see where they set it.

(Edited by cowfishlover at 7:16 pm on July 5, 2002)

i use one made for salinity and it has a scale from 1.000 to 1.070, subdivided in tenths of a hundred (i.e. 1.000, 1.010, 1.020, 1.030, etc.  Also has a corresponding scale that measures  salt in parts per thousand per liter of water.

However,  i suspect that the angle of light refraction for sea water might be quite different than that of sugar water.  But who knows, it would probably be best compare it against a refractometer that measures salinity, or an accurate hydrometer.

Archived