Innovative Marine Aquariums

Adventures in Reefin, the story so far

MrNoahCount

MrNoahCount

Well I've finally settled on my setup several days after I started my tank. I started with a 29 gallon tank and some crushed coral substrate plus three black mollies I acclimated to salt water. On the second day I added some "Florida" live rock that was already cured. Then on the third day I added more cured "Fiji" live rock as I hadn't put enough in the day before. I took some test readings on the third day... SG 1.021, High level Ph 7.8, Ammonia 0.25 ppm,

Nitrite 0 ppm, and Nitrate 10 ppm. On the fourth day I decided to add some Carib Sea Arag-Alive reef sand to help seed the CC. The fifth day saw all my test readings stay the same except for my Ph which had changed to 8.2. I suspect the reef sand did this as it is supposed to contain buffers. I decided after starting my tank that I wanted a sump system so a lifereef overflow box and a water return pump have been ordered but haven't arrived. Today I went ahead and put the sump in place anyway and put Arag Alive! reef sand in it as well as salt water and a raw shrimp to try and get it to start cycling also. I know I've done this with crazy here and there approach but I'm sold on having the sump. I don't really think I've caused any harm so far but there is still the matter of plumbing in the sump when the stuff arrives. I hope it doesn't totally screw the cycle. My questions are about my test readings . Do they seem on the money so far? When should I expect the much talked about ammonia spike? Lights and protein skimmers are still in the future although I have been looking at the DIY CF's sold by aquarium supply.

MrNoahCount

Wow, 21 views and not a single reply yet. No one has any opinions or advice on what I've done so far? I f I'm totally screwing up I need someone to tell me!...lol Seriously, I could use some observations on my test readings. Seem ok so far?

yo MrNC, congrats on getting yr tank up and running, sounds like you're on the right track so far....

what are you using for circulation ?

I'd be adding that skimmer some time soon, or are you just planning on using the sump/fuge and going skimmerless ?....

what are you planning on keeping in the tank ?

-skeletor-

MrNoahCount

I'm definitely going to add a skimmer. When I get the overflow box and Rio 2500 I'm going to use for the sump. I plan on moving the HOB filter down to the sump. I'm looking into using powerheads in the tank itself to aid in water circulation and movement. I'm trying to figure out what size now. As far as what I'm planning on keeping I'm still researching that. I like yellow tangs and to tell you the truth even though most people use them for cycling I wouldn't mind having a yellow tail or black/white damsel in there if possible. I just don't want them killing my other fish. I have not even started thinking on corals yet because I have to work out my lighting. I hate the thought of using Metal Halides and would like to use PC flourescents if I can have anykind of a decent variety of corals with them.

sounds like you're on the right track there, although I'l ditch the HOB filter/nitrate factory.....

the rio should give you lots of circulation, you should look at getting a SCWD and putting an outlet in each corner for some wave action. A couple of small ph's like rio90's are also good to have to move water down behind rocks etc..

PC's are great, the more the better... I have 4 x 55w's over my 20 and I keep a variety of SPS, LPS, softies, zoos, shrooms, rics, clams, etc... water quality is key when keeping any corals too..

Tangs are great, although they grow big, quick... if you decide to keep a tang then be prepared to pass him on to a bigger tank when he outgrows the 29...

Damsels all tend to be really agressive and territorial fish, plus they can be buggers to catch when you've finally had enough... if you must then put the tang in first and give it time to get settled in the tank before putting a damsel in...

-skeletor-

c_k_kuehne

My only question --- If you started w/ cured LR why in the world would you add raw shrimp???

For that matter why would anybody ever add raw Shrimp???

Cured LR allready has a bacterial colony going so no need to jusmp start it w/ anything.

Uncured LR has enough die-off going on so no need to jump start it w/ anything.

I have never used raw shrimp.

I stated my Nano w/ fully cured LR from my main tank. No cycle cause nothing died in the 30 sec transport across the room. Instant reef just add corals.

MrNoahCount

The raw shrimp was put in the sump which unfortunately is not plumbed into the main tank where the LR is yet. I just wanted to get something going in the sump tank water as far as a cycle. I know, it's a backwards way of doing things but I don't have the neccesary items to hook up the sump yet. I read where raw shrimp is sometimes used to start the cycle on a tank.

Pity about Damsels being such nasty little buggers, they are pretty little fish and I guess because of size the Tang isn't a good idea either. I'm open to suggestions on what might go together well in this size tank.

Thanks guys you've been great help so far,

Michael

c_k_kuehne

I guess I sort of understand your reasoning behind this.

If it was me I wouldn't have worried about the sump. when you got it plumbed you could have added fresh saltwater and turned on. System would have still been cycled.

My only concern would be not to start the sump up until it was fully cycled. If you flush a bunch of partially cycled water (high amonia, nitrites or nitrates) into a fully cycled tank w/ LR you actually might be doing harm to the LR and organizims it contains.

Unless you have LR or bio-balls or something in the sump then adding raw shrimp is really not doing anything except messing up the water in the sump. With nothing in the sump there is no surface area for the bacteria to colonize so there really isn't anything to cycle.

The process of cycleing is building a bacteria colony on a sutibale surface (LR, bio-?, substrate ect...). That bacteria will in the future convert the bad stuff (amonia, nitrites, nitrates? ) through the process so they don't hurt your fish/coral/inverts.

OK this was a little simplified but thought I would try and explain why not to use raw shrimp in a sump only situation.

MrNoahCount

Well thank you for the explanation. That shows the value of this forum because I'm most definitely a beginner at this and someone like you with more experience can help me avoid mistakes like the shrimp deal. I did put some Carib sea Arag Alive reef sand in the sump btw but that's all, no LR. I'm in Eatonton Ga. I lived in Atlanta for many years but finally decided to move down here on Lake Sinclair if you know where that is.

Regards,

Michael

c_k_kuehne

Good deal Michael

I actually live in Jeffersonville which is a little farther South than Irwinton on 441 -- about an hour from Eatonton.

If you are ever interested we would love to have you come and visit at one of our club meetings. We vary the location from month to month and have had one up in Oxford probably about 30-40 min from your house.

We have over 80 members currently and have some special presentations/guests planned for latter in the year (Anthony Calfo in Oct.) It's a great bunch of people -- you can learn alot -- snag up on free frags from time to time -- save 10% at our sponsor stores -- plus more.

Check out our website Atlanta Reef Club

Also check out our forum at Club On-line Forum

If you ever need any help w/ anything please e-mail me anytime -- would be more than glad to help and maybe latter on we can swap some frags.

Charles

MrNoahCount

Ok Charles,

I know exactly where Jeffersonville is, my brother used to deer hunt in that area. I will check out the website and the forum and maybe I can make it to a meeting sometime. I can see this hobby getting serious for me. I'm already eyeing the bigger tanks at the LFS and I don't even have any fish or corals yet!

Regards,

Michael

Archived