SaltCritters.com

What additional supplements are needed?

Vincerama

What is needed to supplement inverts & corals beyond what is in salt mix (Instant Ocean).

I was going to buy some stuff online and want to gang up the products to save on shipping.

Kalkwasser? Iodine?

Thanks!

Vince

the sea mix is fine to start. as you decide what you want to raise you can concentrate your supplements toward the needs/preferences of the specific livestock (e.g. macroalgae: halimeda~calcium, grape caulerpa~iron; corals: stonys~calcium; softies~iodine; etc.). there are other supplements (i.e. foods, vitamins, food pyramid starters, etc.) to each of the preceding as well but those were just for examples.

you should invest in a couple of good books imo. that investment will save you a LOT of money later on. tullock's Natural Reef Aquarium is a very good book covering various setups and good explanations. delbeek/sprung's The Reef Aquarium I&II are good next step book imo.

if you feel the 'need' to dose something a spectrum additive is fine. kent's coral-vite is an example of one but everyone carries a similar type.

Also ... before dosing, test!

Don't dump anything in your tank you don't have to -- and keep in mind that regular water changes will also bump anything your tank is using.

how big is the tank ?

What sort of lights ?

how long has it been up ?

what sort of corals ?

how often do you do wc's ? how much ?

do you use RO/DI water ?

ya didn't really give us much to go on there vince...

-skeletor-

Archived