Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Water change "technique"

Vincerama

With my 37g Freshwater tank, I use a "python" which is basically a big vacuum cleaner (well, faucet powered syphon). And basically in my FW fish tank, I want to vacuum up all the "mulm" (sp?) from the bottom. Ie; fish poo.

So I use that to change the water for FW.

However, it seems to me (from reading stuff) that with a reef/saltwater tank, all the crap is at the SURFACE of the water. So rather than using a syphon, should I dunk a container in from the top so that surface water flows into it? (ie, dunk a clean juice jug from the top and let the surface water flow into it)?

Does that make sense? I will have a HOB filter (empty of media) and a HOB skimmer (hey, why not!) that would "break the surface" so maybe the surface crap would mix in and the crap would be more evenly distributed?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Vince

You won't see the 'crap' at the surface like you seem to be anticipating (especially with a skimmer and HOB)). I use a standard, simpleton small siphon/tube that's sold for this purpose and basically get my water from the top third of the tank. I don't normally vacuum the substrate because that's where all my helpful critters live.

Straightforward really.

HTH!

Archived