Top Shelf Aquatics

hair algae

sjwalton

FREAKIN HAIR ALGAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so this new tank is a combination of a 7g bow and a 30g show. 10 days after setup all parameters are perfect, all corals are open and looking good. AND THE FREAKIN HAIR ALGAE IS IN BLOOM!!!!!!!

RO/DI water, brand new bulbs with a 10 hour photoperiod, polyfilter sponge AND phosphate remover. WHAT THE HELL!!!!

THIS HAIR ALGAE IS MOCKING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

OK i feel a little better now. I m gonna go scrape the glass now.

Glad you could vent. Try lowereing your salinity and it should taper off within a few weeks in combination with your invert crew.

Keep in mind the lights are probably helping rather than hurting it. Keep your pohotoperiod as it is though. Your filtration also sounds good, but this is something that grows in the tank and won't be affected by the filter. Just keep in mind the adivce you got from acousitc and remember to appreciate the zen aspect of this.......stop thinking of the algae as your enemy. There is supposed to be algae in the tank since it occurs natuarlly in the ocean, it's a sign the water is healthy, and at least it could be something else that doesn't benefit the water as much as it does. Let nature do it's thing and the cleanup crew will have it all gone soon. In the mean time just harmonize with it and skip the part about being aggravated. Are you aggravated the sky is blue instead of some other color , Grasshopper? It's being blue is neither right nor wrong, it just is.

Originally posted by swordfish

Keep in mind the lights are probably helping rather than hurting it. Keep your pohotoperiod as it is though. Your filtration also sounds good, but this is something that grows in the tank and won't be affected by the filter. Just keep in mind the adivce you got from acousitc and remember to appreciate the zen aspect of this.......stop thinking of the algae as your enemy. There is supposed to be algae in the tank since it occurs natuarlly in the ocean, it's a sign the water is healthy, and at least it could be something else that doesn't benefit the water as much as it does. Let nature do it's thing and the cleanup crew will have it all gone soon. In the mean time just harmonize with it and skip the part about being aggravated. Are you aggravated the sky is blue instead of some other color , Grasshopper? It's being blue is neither right nor wrong, it just is.

Yeah.... so.... I had the same hair algae problem. I scrapped that tank.

I need to find my center.:(

Archived