inTank Media Baskets

New guy w/questions.

BAIN

First of all I would like to say I have been looking around this sight and have been seeing some awesome tanks! :woot:

I guess I'm setting up what would be considerd a nano reef(20gal.)

Here is what I got so far:

20gal

60# LS

25/30# LR

CPR Bak-Pak 2R

2 100gph powerheads

It's been running for 4 weeks so far ;) w/10% water change per week. I have a couple of questions. I'm thinking of going with 2 65w PC's because I want to keep a brain,elegance,hammer. If I keep mushrooms,leathers,and zoos would this be too much light for them? Also I live in Mississippi so it's pretty warm around here now so should I use a heater or wait until it gets cooler? What kind of detritus/algae cleaners and how many should I use for a 20gal? Last, what kind of fish and how many? I was thinking a clown,six-line,pigmy angle,cleaner shrimp. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :happy:

Thanks,

Richard

first off, heaters will only go on if the water drops below the temp you set it at (assuming the heater works correctly) so you can get the heater any time. I would be more concerned with cooling the tank during the summer as it gets hot there and the lights will generate some heat as well.

Second, rethink the elegance. They are not easy to keep and there are posts on here and other boards about the many problems people have been having with them.

Third, the tank is 4 weeks old - has the cycle ended?

Fourth, go with the best lighting you can afford. Almost everyone on these boards will tell you that they upgraded or plan on upgrading their lights at some point or other. It almost always happens so you might as well go for more wattage now, if you can manage it, and save yourself the cash that might be spent on an upgrade later on.

Lastly, the fish and shrimp you are looking at should be ok, although I would replace the angel as they can get kinda big for a 20 with other fish and they nip can nip at corals.

Originally posted by Crakeur

I would be more concerned with cooling the tank during the summer as it gets hot there and the lights will generate some heat as well.

We do have AC down here you know :D

The tank is on the last leg of cycle. I plan on letting it run for about 3 more weeks. BTW the pigmy angel will get to big? ???

I will do some more research on the elegance. Thanks for the heads up. Thanks for you help so far.

Richard.

Once you have some fish in there, add a fighting conch. They can be a PITA to find (at least here in Canada they are). You've got a boatload of sand, and these will do a mighty job of keeping it clean.

Otherwise, stay away from crabs (murderous, if charming, bastards) ... and the dead-common astreas can't flip themselves over if they fall.

Having tried every snail I can get my hands on ...

Cerith snails -- great on the sand

Nassarius snails -- great at cleaning up meaty foods from the sand

Nerite snails -- start small and stay small; clean glass and rocks, but can roam out of the tank

Trocchus -- very, very hard workers, and can spawn in captivity!

I've been trying to get some stomatella snails as well -- very, very small and reproduce very well.

Good luck!

WorldNation

ah! your astreas die too? hhha, woho! i thought i was the only opne. kinda pointless to hav'em if u ask me. :) lmao

what about bummble bee and turbo snails?...

Archived